Menu

Tell me about CTY, CTD, and EPGY for science

Staceyshoe

Since January, I've been weighing options, emailing, calling, etc to try to find a science placement for my son.   Just last week, I found out that the course he is not confirmed for a class that I had received confirmation for.  Now I'm rushing around trying to find a plan B.

Quick background--Ds is PG and has been obsessively reading science encyclopedias for the past 5 years.  Two years ago, he reached the point where I was not able to learn alongside him any more.  He's just been on his own with various curricula, encyclopedias, textbooks, etc., but I feel that it's not serving him.  We've been doing the same thing for years now, and I strongly feel that he needs something more.  For two years, he has literally begged me for more.  Since my husband and I do not have a science background, we can just listen while he talks excitedly about what he's learning.  He has no one to talk with about things.  I've noticed that he used to have lots of questions and creative ideas, but he doesn't do this anymore.  I think it's a result of just being stuck with the book and not able to interact with the information.  His writing skills are still at grade level, but his science is very advanced.

At this point, we're considering all options from private school to private tutoring to skyping with an instructor to online courses (WAY too much to sort through given that it's mid-August right now!).  Ideally, I think it would be valuable for him to have someone in-person he could talk with.  If we don't find that right situation, I'm starting to explore CTY, CTD, and EPGY.  I know nothing about these programs.  Can someone give me a quick rundown (or point me to previous threads)?  Would the asynchrony between writing and science be a problem?  Is there interaction with an instructor?  Are all these programs about the same or are there significant differences?  What's been your experience with science courses from these places?  We'll be gone for a big part of September, and I'm not sure how that would affect the classes.  Sorry about all these questions.  I'm trying not to panic.  :huh:   I need to quickly decide whether this option is worth pursuing.  TIA!

Hi Stacey,

I do not have experience to share, but as we're in a somewhat similar boat wrt math, I feel compelled to help if I can. Can you elaborate on what areas of science your ds is most interested in exploring or what kinds of courses you are looking at? Have you looked at some of the Coursera offerings? We did do EPGY for math, but way early on so not useful to you. We will be doing CTY for a non-science class. Again, not so helpful, but I will say that I have already been impressed with how accessible the CTY prof has made himself...by email and by phone. It is sooo expensive, yet if it results in a professional/personal resource for your ds, that would be worthwhile.

Thank you so much for your reply!  I spent a big chunk of today reviewing all our options, looking up reviews for online classes, etc.  If we can arrange for someone to work my son in person, that's our first preference.  If not, then we'll be looking at something through distance learning.  My son adores all areas of science, but I think if he has any gaps then it's in physical science.  After looking everything over again, I think we are leaning toward either Secondary Science Education or Derek Owens' Physical Science course.  On Monday, he has an interview with a private school and with a science instructor who teaches a small group of homeschooled kids.  We plan to arrange a couple of interviews with private tutors too.  I was feeling so overwhelmed this morning that we seemed to be back at square 1---especially with so many classes starting soon.   It looks like we may be going in a different direction than I was originally thinking, but we should have more clarity soon.

I would still love to hear about anyone experience with the group mentioned in the title or with SSE or Derek Owens (or anything else that I should add to our list of possibilities).  I'm sure we'll be facing difficult placement decisions every year for a while.  It is very helpful to hear that your experience has been that CTY prof as been very available to you.  That's definitely something that is high on our priority list.

:thumbup: Definite 2 thumbs up for Derek Owens. We don't have experience with physical science though. Went straight into physics because DS had the appropriate algebra background. Good thing with Derek's materials is that you can take longer to go through them with a younger kid and you still pay the same amount of $.

• 3 weeks later...

My kids are not gifted but I am and I attended CTY for Chemistry using stone tablets for information. Would it be of any use to you to hear about my experiences? Let's put it this way: we watched the Iran Contra hearings during our down time...that's how long ago this was!  :lol: