Menu

What to do with one evening in Tampa?

Jenny in Florida

I'm taking my son on a quick road trip to attend a college fair for arts students the last week of August. The event is in Boca Raton, but we'll be doing a couple of campus tours along the way and will be spending one night in Tampa. Given the college-heavy aspect of this trip, my son asked that we do at least a couple of fun things that aren't all about education. Since we'll wind up one of the tours by about 4:00 and don't need to leave town until the next morning, I thought that would be a good time to work in something purely fun.

We live in Orlando and have been to Tampa several times (mostly to attend the Renaissance Festival each year), but we've never been there overnight. I know about MOSI and the art museums and such, most of which we've visited on field trips over the years. The only one I think would fit my son's vision of "just for fun," though, would be MOSI, and they close at 5:00 on weekdays. We'll be there on a Thursday.

I've combed through the official "visit Tampa" site and checked the calendars of the various performing arts venues, hoping there might be a show or dance performance we could attend. I'm finding a certain dearth of possibilities for a Thursday evening early in the fall, however. He mentioned even something simple like going to a movie, but of course that will depend on whether there is anything we want to see. If there are any especially nice multiplexes, that might work?

So, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for something that would entertain a 15-year-old guy who is travelling with him mom and who loves dance, theatre and all things techy for an evening in Tampa, FL?