Menu

Help me avoid Phonics Failure!

dollhouse

I've homeschooled my daughter (going into 4th grade) for two years without using a phonics program, because she is, by nature, an excellent reader. The school she attend for kindergarten used the Riggs Institute's "Writing and Spelling Road to Reading and Thinking," and while I did purchase their Level I and II materials with the intention of continuing with her, it just seemed like too much work for a kid who was already reading so well.

Now I am planning to homeschool my son, who will be a second grader. He also used WSRRT at school for kinder, then in first grade the school moved to Spalding. He is reading fine for his age, but isn't the "natural" reader my daughter was. So I'd like to continue a strong phonics program for him (I think...).

So far I've spent probably $300 on phonics programs (I also have SWR and WISE Guide for Spelling), but I get overwhelmed just looking at them. I need to either choose between the two, or find a simpler program that I'm SURE I will use so I don't keep throwing money away. Or, maybe lighten up about the phonics??

I'd love some guidance before I spend a lot of hours trying to learn one or the other program. I should add that I'm an English major and worked as an editor, so you would think this shouldn't be so difficult, but I am really struggling to build the momentum needed to learn and use one of these programs.

Thanks in advance!

Really, if you think he's "reading fine for his age," I don't know what you would gain by doing more *phonics* with him. OTOH, SWR, like its parent, Spalding, teaches children to read by teaching them to spell. How is your ds's spelling? If that needs help, then you could do SWR. If not, then I say move on to writing, and let him just...read.

I suppose my reluctance to drop a rigorous phonics program with my son has to do with the fact that his former school really drills kids for years. Maybe I should let it go and stop the cycle of worry and guilt that I just frankly don't want to put the time into these complicated programs. That sounds terrible! I'm just not sure I see the cost/benefit analysis working out in our favor.

I suppose my reluctance to drop a rigorous phonics program with my son has to do with the fact that his former school really drills kids for years. Maybe I should let it go and stop the cycle of worry and guilt that I just frankly don't want to put the time into these complicated programs. That sounds terrible! I'm just not sure I see the cost/benefit analysis working out in our favor.

Schools which do Spalding teach it every year, too. Of course, they never know from year to year which children will be coming back the next year, and there are new children each year who haven't done it before, so they have to keep teaching it, KWIM? You, OTOH, have one child. You know how well he reads and spells. You can decide that he's doing fine and that he can just move on. :-)