Menu

Skipping 8th grade courses

I was wondering if anyone else has found themselves and their student in the predicament of skipping 8th grade courses.  We use a charter school and dd13 8th grade is going to be taking all high school courses for high school credit except our state history course.  She just turned 13 too.  This was not planned in advance and came about quickly.  Her grades are there and she will be academically challenged.  However, I am trying to make sure she is set up for success in "high school".  She has an assignment agenda book, we are going through a study skills pdf we got when we used Calvert for 6th grade, she has a weekly binder to set up with her work, a binder to keep her quarterly work in and a 3" binder for all her quarterly work to shift to and hold all the work for the year eventually.  

I guess I am worried that we didn't get that 8th grade year to prepare for the feeling of these courses are for real now and they go on your transcript.  She is a smart student and normally does very well, but she is at that age that things other than school are starting to be big priorities for her.  

I have read the thread about preparing your 8th grader, but what do you do when it needs to be a crash course b/c she is basically skipping 8th grade?  I have no teacher materials for her this year.  It is totally different than last year for me as well.  Has anyone else had their 8th grader pretty much do a freshman year and how did it go?