Menu

Anyone donate their ovarian eggs, or know anything about it?

Aura

Not personal experience, but I have several friends who were able to build their families using donor eggs. Having this option available was a blessing beyond measure to them.

I do have experience with IVF (basically the same procedure leading up to egg retrieval). It's not a walk in the park, but nowhere near the worst medical procedure I've undergone either. I'd be happy to share the gory details privately if you want to hear more.

When I was a nanny out East, a local couple wanted to start a family, and they asked for donor eggs.  (This would have been early 1990s).  Ultimately, they didn't want me because I wear a strong prescription of glasses.  The dad also wears glasses, and they worried about the double-whammy of eyesight.  (My eyesight is totally correctable with surgery). 

They did ask if I would be willing to do a general donation to the clinic.  If they brought in a donor of general eggs, they would immediately move to the top of the list for the next anonymous eggs to come in.  I declined, because I was ambivalent about donating eggs to total strangers, and because I was a little put off that my eyesight was more of an issue that the mixed bag they may get from an anonymous donor.  Keep in mind that was a straight-A college student with affinities for math, science, and languages, and that I could do the Rubik's cube in less than 5 minutes.

As I understood the procedure, I would have to go for daily injections for two weeks to make several eggs mature.  Then I would have outpatient surgery to remove the eggs.  Recovery time would be a day or so.  No money would have passed hands in our situation.