Menu

K5 activities while older siblings are busy at work

evansmom

I posted this in General as well. What do you do with your young dc while the others are working? My eldest doesn't handle distractions well. Last year my young dc was in preschool but I'll have all 3 at home with me and I'm a bit nervous about it. I have some activity bags, some crates with toys, and some work of course but she likes someone to be playing with her. 

I don't want to resort to videos and ipad too much either. Thanks!
Wendy

Can the older student teach something to the younger one? Or practice reading by reading to them. Wouldn't work for everything, but some things perhaps. My older one practices hand-writing by writing numbers and quizzing the younger one on what number it is. 

I usually start with my youngest first. Just a quick story, some fingerplays, get her set up at her little table with some activity that I get going with her. 

After I have filled her cup so to speak I can move on to my boys. Keeping plenty of interesting things out and available helps.

Since yours are Kindergartners, I would do the same. Do K stuff first, alternate kids. Combine them with any interesting science or history projects etc.

Do art all together. Basically try  to find where all of your kids can do something together. In my home math and language arts are usually the only things completely separated. The content learning goes both ways. 

I agree.  My plan is to start the day with Bible and Memory Work together, then work with my Ker for 30 minutes.  I'll send him off to do his own thing (although I plan to have a few things ready in case he wants to do something more "schooly."  Then I'll bring him back for history with DD10.  We'll have a 2 hour break for lunch and exercise, then I'll start math with DD.  Once I get her going, I'll do math with him and once a week wrap up the day with some science.  Art is together on Friday afternoons.

I'm hoping that the frequent breaks will be good for him.  DD is embarking on quite a few new things, so I think for a while she will need more 1 on 1.  I'm thinking that as the year progresses, she can take on a little more independent work and I can keep DS on track a little better.  Overall, he already is nearing a 1st grade level in everything, so if he has a really relaxed K year, I'm not worried about it.