Menu

a question about "coding" in Saxon Phonics 1

HappyLady

Is this necessary to teach/learn? I never did this in grammar school, nor do I know of any children doing it in school now (there could be, I just don't know about any). Is this something they really expect 1st graders to do?? This seems like it's going to be awfully difficult for my 5.5 year old to understand.

It is done in little bits at a time so it's not that difficult. My 4yr old did just fine with it. I did read somewhere (front cover of book I think?) that it's not the main goal of the program. It is a tool or stepping stone to get the child to the end (reading). My son started to think half way through that coding the words on the back of the work sheet should be good enough so he shouldn't have to read them also. BIG problem there! The point is reading, not coding. So then I told them if he read them he wouldn't have to code them. Well coding is so simple that he wanted to code and not read. He finally started to visualize the codes without writing them just as we were done for the year.

I assume there might be ways around coding but teaching phonics was my weak subject (I'm mathy) so I don't know how with this program. I would think you might even have to just pick a different one because this program relies heavily on coding. Child can get from a-c without b?