Menu

How to keep very curious 5yo out of trouble

I have a 5 yo (almost 6) ds who is gifted and VERY curious.  He loves to take things apart.  Which is great in theory, except when he takes apart my working mixer with my meat tenderizing hammer.  He is so very creative, and can build amazing things.  But he also conducts chemistry experiments with my most expensive gluten free flours and all of my spices.  He also has ADHD, so he can sometimes spin from one thing to the next.  There are times where I have to shadow him, literally not use the bathroom, for fear of what he will get into.  There is no child-proofing the house from him, because he can take a paper plate and some tape and make an amazing creation, though he can also get ahold of a knife and cut open our guitar because he wants to know how it is build so that he can carve wood and build his own guitar.  I have four other kids, including a 4yo ds on the autism spectrum, to teach, so it is nearly impossible to watch him all of the time.  He has NO interest in anything that resembles an actual toy/kit/curriculum piece - not snap circuit, lego, magnatiles, he does love wikisticks, but that is about it.  He taught himself to read right before his fifth birthday, but doesnt want to sit for any formal academics yet.  He asks a million amazing questions a day, and thought it is incredible that he is so intelligent and curious, by the end of the day I just want a break from him (I feel so bad to say that!).  Any ideas of materials, kits, classes, hobbies, anything to safely occupy this guy so that I can successfully homeschool the rest of the family??

First, hugs.

Second, I won't have much of anything to help beyond saying, i'd have to be trying to figure out how to have some impulse control. Does he have it outside of the home? Can you take him somewhere and not worry about him destroying their, say, violin because he is curious? Has he been on meds and does it help? Has he been tested for CAPD and processing disorders? (My DDs impulse control issues are not related to ADHD but to a genetic thing she has, coupled with her CAPD and severe processing disorders. Meds would not help. And, she is having major issues right now with them.....)

I'd look at hiring someone to come in and watch him and the 4yo for a couple of hours a day to give you respite and allow you to teach the older kids. It would still be cheaper than private school right?

Great thinking, no, he does not have impulse control outside of the house at all.  His older two brothers (9yo and 8yo) both have ADHD, which is why I began homeschooling.  We medicated for 6 months or so, but everyone hated it - the kids and us, and we made a group decision to homeschool and not use meds.  But for this kid  there are days when I say "Drug him, I can't take it!!".   He gets very, very hyper at bedtime (almost like sundowning with an Alzheimers person) and so once a month or so we give him melatonin.  Funny thing is, he still wont go to sleep for a few hours afterwards (any time we have given it to our other kids it knocks them out in thirty minutes), but he is so calm, pleasant, thoughtful for those few hours.  But ritalin made him crazy - violent, raging, tearful, frantic - so scary I almost called 911.  Again, we are against medicating in general, but I would be curious to hear others' thoughts on that.

I know that if I took him to a scrap yard and found several pieces of "junk" for him to build/create/destroy he would be so thrilled, but I am also ready all day every day to find him with a finger dangling (G-d forbid!), or enjoying the glow of a fire that he created with chemicals etc...wish there was a gifted program near me, but I have checked into it, and there is not. He is truly brilliant, but  It is not such a simple blessing to have a child with a gifted but incredibly intense mind....

Go to thrift stores/garage sales for old appliances and electronics that he could take apart.

A kindergarten teacher I once knew had a unit every year wher she had parents send in old broken stuff like phones, irons mixers, typewriters etc and gave the kids tools to take them all apart.

I wouldn't necessarily give up on medications if you are having such a difficult time at home, but there are non Ritalin medications that are effective for some kids without those kinds of side effects.

That is interesting on the melatonin - although when I was reading on it i did see that some people have to take it X number of hours before they go to sleep. What type of impact does caffeine have on him?

The Special Needs board here is going to have more help - but i'm guessing there is something else there that is causing the impulse control issues. I have to say, we did have one psych who tried to insist that my DD had ADHD based purely on her impulse control scores alone. He refused to acknowledge her other medical issues as a factor. The neuropsych tried to say he was crazy in her report in a nice way... LOL!!

But i'd really think about some additional testing to help you learn how to guide him.

Does other types of physical activity help slow him down at all? Maybe swim team??? The 2E moms will have ideas - so between the Special Needs board and the accelerated learners board you should get some help.