Menu

X-Post- Stopgap idea needed. Acitivities with poor ds?

WyoSylvia

I have everything ready to begin K with my almost five-year old. He doesn't want to start school until the fun centerpiece of our curriculum comes - he has been patiently waiting for two months and has politely said he just wants to wait until it is here. It is supposed to come soon but we've thought that for a few weeks and now I'm going batty!

Here is my problem - I have been so focused on the curriculum that now I have no idea what to do with our time. I am the 'give me a plan' type of person, without one I get the deer-in-the-headlights look, especially with books that are titled "1001 Ideas For..." because I just want it to say "Do this." I know the obvious answer is play with him but I am only good at 'play with a purpose,' otherwise I start looking around for something that will engage my brain. My son is fun and independent but that basically ends up with me doing things separately from him which I dislike.

Is there anything that I can get my hands on quickly, say online, that is perhaps similar to Five In A Row or any other idea that you brilliant people can come up with?

Thanks for any help!

If you want something like Five In A Row, how about HomeschoolShare Units?

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/

Like Five In A Row, they are unit studies built around picture books. You still

need your own copy of the book or books (or borrow from the library), but the

units themselves are all online. You will still have to do some picking and choosing

among the units and activities, though.

Here are the Kindergarten level units.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Level2.php

Out of curiosity, what is the "fun centerpiece" that you

will be using?

First, thank you both for your ideas. Second, thank you for asking about my curriculum. I'm about to burst because I'm so excited about it. (I'll try to be as brief as I can... we'll see how well I do.)

When I was thinking about K, I just remembered fun manipulatives so I went searching. Somehow I stumbled upon these. They were designed by the original K inventor, Friedrich Froebel to teach amazing concepts about nature, science/math and art through gentle guidance from the teacher. (Much more than I had been seeking.) There are free access books from the late 1800's that instruct how to teach with these so that the focus in on the child learning through play, "play in work and work in play." I love playing as long as there is some point to it - I'm thinking these are going to be great.

Thanks again for asking - my poor dh has had to listen to me bubbling forth for a couple months so it is nice to chat with other people about it. :001_smile: