Menu

Suggestion for Middle School Geology over summer

lillybell

My youngest daughter wants to study Geology over the summer. We are wrapping up McHenry Botany next week and she is now interested in Geology. So far I have the following:

Tops Rocks & Minerals

Hands of a Child Rocks & Minerals Lapbook

Basher Rocks & Minerals Book

A rock tumber my husband found at the Goodwill, it was complete and a good find

Geodes to crack

A 2 day class in July called Rocks, Gems, and Minerals at a local Science Institute

I want her to have enough material for about 6 weeks. I was looking at a game on Amazon called Rock On that comes with a bunch of rocks. It looks neat but after reading reviews sounds for a much younger audience. Anyone have any fun games to add or any other suggestions to add to the reading.

Does the TOPS set come with any samples? I'm not familiar with it. If not, I would add in a good, basic rock and mineral set (make sure you get one with minerals!!) like this one http://www.hometrainingtools.com/rocks-minerals-deluxe-set/p/RM-RMCOLL/ . We started with this larger set in fifth grade http://www.hometrainingtools.com/rocks-minerals-premium-set---75-specimens/p/RM-ROCK75/

It is so much easier to learn about the various rocks and the minerals that form them when you have samples to hold! Pictures in a book don't work as well.

She will learn a LOT from the class in July---nice find!

I got the Tops kit but only comes with a few rocks which I think she will be using to perform some rock hardness test but other than that no other samples. Thanks for the suggestion on the rocks and mineral set, going to go ahead and order one. She is a visual learner so great suggestion.