Menu

Reading interpretation

Greetings,

We will soon enter our 3rd grade and I am in desperate need of some strong intepretation plana for my strong reader. She reads well, and fast but her interpretations is not always accurate or strong. Does anyone here have suggestions on worksheets or "tests" of sorts to go with a variety of books?

Ideas and suggestions are welcome and much needed.

Thank you.

Miriam

Couldn't you discuss the books with her? My boys always get more about talking about a book, then doing work sheets. I try and be very enthusiastic, often fake but never obvious, with my questions. They always fall for it, and talk, and talk. Reading aloud together is also wonderful for comprehension. You can stop and discuss as you go.

Choose some books to read aloud and discuss. You can use some lit guides for that book if you like (there's a lot of lit guide resources) and let her read her own books independently. Reading silently at her age is building fluency and she's learning some vocab. I would just let her read for the pleasure of it without trying to make it "school' and then choose some read alouds that you want her to be familiar with and do extra discussion or projects with those. Bravewriter Arrow guide s are good for extra literary element discussion about a book. You may also like Deconstructing Penguins.

I wouldn't really use worksheets or tests with literature. You would risk killing her joy of just reading for the pleasure of it.

Couldn't you discuss the books with her? My boys always get more about talking about a book, then doing work sheets. I try and be very enthusiastic, often fake but never obvious, with my questions. They always fall for it, and talk, and talk. Reading aloud together is also wonderful for comprehension. You can stop and discuss as you go.

:iagree: This is pretty much what I would have written, except I have girls instead of boys. :laugh:

Thank you for the replies. I think the literature guide is what I was looking for, more than worksheet. I totally agree that the last thing I want is to kill her joy of reading. We do talk about books she reads, but I want more specific, so I can have a bit more in depth view on her comprehension. If I have not read the book it makes a bit harder for me to have a discussion.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into those.

Thank you for the replies. I think the literature guide is what I was looking for, more than worksheet. I totally agree that the last thing I want is to kill her joy of reading. We do talk about books she reads, but I want more specific, so I can have a bit more in depth view on her comprehension. If I have not read the book it makes a bit harder for me to have a discussion.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into those.

I wouldn't necessarily try to discuss a book you haven't read. Again just pick some books to read aloud together, and let her pleasure reading be on her own terms.