Menu

Our Lang Arts doesn't have enough review! Help!

goldielocks

Dd used Abeka LA K-2, and then switched to LLATL 3-6 for the all-in-one aspect.

LLATL does not have enough/any review. Dd is frustrated that the new concept is taught, then not mentioned/practiced after that.

I have LLATL for 7th grade, but I don't think we want to use it now.

Dd loves to write stories. I don't want something so rigorous that dd that will not enjoy language arts/writing, but even she wants review and something that uses each grammar concept throughout the year.

I'm planning on buying the Cozy Grammar DVDs for all my kids to watch.

Also, I am now hesitant to use LLATL with my two younger kids. I have them both doing the same level of grammar. (The older has struggled learning to read.) In doing so, this year he's gained confidence. This summer he has started to ENJOY reading on his own!! I'm so excited!

Any suggestions for grammar and other language arts subjects since LLATL was "all-in-one"?

Thank you!

Bumping for you. I've never used or seen LLATL but hopefully you'll get more responses/advice.

If you're looking for grammar with lots of review, check out Hake Grammar. Every lesson teaches a new concept, with 5 or so practice questions and around 10 exercises over that new topic, then around 20 - 30 review questions over other concepts that have been covered thus far. There's so much review, I usually have my DS do only every other review question. The program is designed to do 3 days per week for a 180 day school year (approx. 120 lessons) and my DS spends about 20 minutes per lesson. The program is solid and thorough, not flashy at all, but it gets the job done and we're continuing it next year. It includes diagramming, though at the grade 5 level (where we started) there are usually only 2 or 3 diagramming exercises per lesson. The diagramming is easy to exclude if you don't want it.

Also look at Easy Grammar. I haven't used the middle school levels, but we did Easy Grammar 4 before Hake. EG4 had chapter reviews and cumulative reviews built in, but not nearly as much review as Hake. Maybe you could do EG plus the Daily Grams supplement that goes with it. EG does not teach diagramming, or else we probably would have stuck with it.

Maybe I'm too picky, but I've never found an all in one LA program that I liked. I believe there are different sources/publishers that are best for each area, and my DS is at different levels for different things, so the piecemeal approach is the route we've taken.