Menu

Short Story books

Pansen

My 9 year old has Dyslexia, but he is catching up fast. However, he gets tired really quickly when decoding words, and I would like to find some interesting short story books for him at the 4th/5th grade levels. I don't care if these are textbooks or literature. Any ideas?

My 9 year old has Dyslexia, but he is catching up fast. However, he gets tired really quickly when decoding words, and I would like to find some interesting short story books for him at the 4th/5th grade levels. I don't care if these are textbooks or literature. Any ideas?

I would suggest looking at Remedia. I'd request a catalog...it's easier to find stuff in their catalog and then look at additional samples online. Also, if you see something you like...check if Rainbow Resource has it. If they do, it's usually a bit cheaper. They have all kinds of low reading/high interest level books. I love their catalog...there's so much I'd like to get. Another place with great stuff is PCI. Again, I'd get their catalog...sometimes the website can be hard to find what you want.

The Lion Storyteller Bedtime Book has a lot of fun short fable-like stories. My ds enjoyed it when he was your son's age (in fact, the book is still on his shelf and he's almost 13). It's designed to be used as a bedtime read-aloud for younger kids, but the stories are interesting and may be a good length for your ds to practice his reading skills.

http://www.sonlight.com/PA03.html

You might also try something like Aesop's Fables or Greek Myths for Young Children.

http://www.sonlight.com/BA07.html

BTW, I have no experience working with dyslexia so take these suggestions for what they're worth. HTH