Menu

Former CM user turning Classical needs some help-PLEASE

I will try to make this short: my soon to be 6th grade twins had done most of school in the CM methods. They started written narrations last year, but could use some more work on that. BUT I am switching mid stream to more classical using lots of TWTM ideas. we will be staring TOG next year, but do our own writing.

So i need some suggestions about our curriculum. Math we are set on.

But writing:: I was thinking of WWE 3 next year and the skipping WWE 4 and going into WWS in 7th. They have done short dictation and 8 sentnece written narrations last year. Also have done IEW -about 1/2 way through But i thought WWS might be too tough-WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Grammar: I was thinking Analytical Grammar since my other two kids have done this. But then I heard about MCT and was thinking about that. What are the pros/cons of MCT? (We made it through 3 chapters of Rod and Staff 5 last year)

Science ; We are doing Elemental Science: Earth Science/Astronomy- I am fine with this

Latin: Starting with Memoria Press- I am fine with this

We will also do spelling for one, since he is pretty bad. And vocabulary.

Could someone give me some feedback-especially on the WWE and Grammar.

Thanks

pam

Peace Hill Press has evaluations for placement in the WWE series - http://wtm-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com/wwe/wweevaluations.pdf

You mention they need work on the narrations- the evaluation would give you an idea of how they're doing. As sixth graders, even if they need work on the narrations, they probably won't need an entire year to get there. We did WWE 1-4 and then started WWS in 5th grade. The first few weeks were easy (because they were a review of narrations), but after that it was definitely challenging. I would plan to work on narrations in WWE (whichever one you pick) and then transition to WWS, keeping in mind that you might need to progress at a slower speed through some of the more challenging topics. We took five days per week in stead of four on many of the lessons after the first semester.

You're probably fine starting with either WWE3 or WWE4, but you may want to glance at the TOC and see which one has more narrations that coincide with your history cycle (just for reinforcement).