Menu

Math Programs??

I have used Singapore (Primary Math) and been happy with for the most part.

However, I feel like it needs more hands on activities and real life practical applications.

Is there something I could use instead or supplement with???

I was tired when I wrote this. I wrote a bit more info concerning my situation and what I am looking for, down below, about 4 comments down.

Are you doing this with or without the HIG? You should be introducing every lesson with hands on activities before opening the textbook.

Is there a specific level and chapter where you are stuck on coming up with ideas on how to present things in a concrete fashion?

If you are already doing this, you might want to add a fun book, such as Penrose the Mathematical Cat. It has thin "story" of the cat owned by a mathematician, who is constantly investigating his mistresses papers and chatting about them with the mouse in the wall, etc. There are two books in this series by Theoni Pappas, and they are great :). Kids from grades 3--7 can have fun with these books (with a parent when younger, independently for older kids) and will be cutting things out, solving problems, and having a lot of fun with these short, hands-on lessons.

Another way to go for mathematically adept kids is to check out elements of mathematics online. There is a free assessment test to see whether the program is a good fit for your child-- the assessment test is CRAZY!! LOL tell your kids to try their best and not just treat it as a silly game, because they can only take it once! :D. But if they do qualify, unit one is all set about using different base numbers and applying that skill to cryptography-- the entire unit is based in a storyline about having to be a spy. It is very, very cool. It is very mind-stretching, and won't e a great fit for every kid, but for those for whom it works, it's awesome. DS12 has been having fun with it as a supplement to Fred. DS9 qualified to take it as well, but I held off on enrolling him for now, since he has enough on his plate, but he is very creative in his thinking, and will enjoy it more in a year or so.

If you tell us more about where you are stuck, and whether you are using the HIG, we can help you more, but there are a few other ideas to chomp on in the meantime.

Forgive any eggregious errors or typos. I should probably not be posting at this time of night.

If you are already doing this, you might want to add a fun book, such as Penrose the Mathematical Cat. It has thin "story" of the cat owned by a mathematician, who is constantly investigating his mistresses papers and chatting about them with the mouse in the wall, etc. There are two books in this series by Theoni Pappas, and they are great :).

We love The Penrose the Cat books, and I think they can be credited a great deal for my dd love of all things math.

NittanyJen, you might be happy to learn that there is know a third book in the series (came out in March) called Puzzles from Penrose the Cat.

Perfect for summer fun :)

http://www.amazon.com/Puzzles-Penrose-Mathematical-Theoni-Pappas/dp/1884550703

We love The Penrose the Cat books, and I think they can be credited a great deal for my dd love of all things math.

NittanyJen, you might be happy to learn that there is know a third book in the series (came out in March) called Puzzles from Penrose the Cat.

Perfect for summer fun :)

http://www.amazon.com/Puzzles-Penrose-Mathematical-Theoni-Pappas/dp/1884550703

Awesome! I will have to look for it!

My oldest used Singapore Primary Math 5 and above. It has been awhile since she was in the Singapore Primary Math age range (she is now 17yrs old). So I had to go back and look in her old Singapore books. There was some of what I am looking for.

I have two kids that I homeschooled from preschool till first grade with mainly a Montessori and Charlotte Mason style. I did a lot of Montessori math with them back then. They are now coming out of public school - they just finished their 3rd and 4th grade years. They LOVE math and are good at picking up new math concepts (according to the school). However, I have noticed that they are terrible at their math drills (nothing is memorized) - they were taught to "quick add" for multiplication facts, and so now both are struggling with division due to it (though the school says they are good at it O_o). I have already made some homemade Montessori activities for them to use so they can get a concrete understanding of it (which it seems they already have). I bought Saxon math for the summer, to go over their math fact drills (they desperately need it).

I have not ordered their math curriculum yet for the fall. I wanted it to be Singapore since I had liked it so much for the oldest child a few years ago. I would be VERY hesitant to NOT use Singapore Primary Math (I haven't much looked at the other Singapore programs tho). I am thinking that I want to supplement Singapore (though I am open to looking into other math programs). I want to have MORE real life applications and hands on activities.

I was tired last night and probably should have waited to post until I had the mind to explain all of this.

Are you doing this with or without the HIG? You should be introducing every lesson with hands on activities before opening the textbook.

Is there a specific level and chapter where you are stuck on coming up with ideas on how to present things in a concrete fashion?

If you are already doing this, you might want to add a fun book, such as Penrose the Mathematical Cat. It has thin "story" of the cat owned by a mathematician, who is constantly investigating his mistresses papers and chatting about them with the mouse in the wall, etc. There are two books in this series by Theoni Pappas, and they are great :). Kids from grades 3--7 can have fun with these books (with a parent when younger, independently for older kids) and will be cutting things out, solving problems, and having a lot of fun with these short, hands-on lessons.

Another way to go for mathematically adept kids is to check out elements of mathematics online. There is a free assessment test to see whether the program is a good fit for your child-- the assessment test is CRAZY!! LOL tell your kids to try their best and not just treat it as a silly game, because they can only take it once! :D. But if they do qualify, unit one is all set about using different base numbers and applying that skill to cryptography-- the entire unit is based in a storyline about having to be a spy. It is very, very cool. It is very mind-stretching, and won't e a great fit for every kid, but for those for whom it works, it's awesome. DS12 has been having fun with it as a supplement to Fred. DS9 qualified to take it as well, but I held off on enrolling him for now, since he has enough on his plate, but he is very creative in his thinking, and will enjoy it more in a year or so.

If you tell us more about where you are stuck, and whether you are using the HIG, we can help you more, but there are a few other ideas to chomp on in the meantime.

Forgive any eggregious errors or typos. I should probably not be posting at this time of night.

Have you looked at Hands on Equations? it looks at early algebraic concepts an a very hands on manner, and it is reinforcing the more basic number relationships at the same time (and it motivates DS9 in terms of why these more basic math facts will be important later).

It sounds as if you have a great plan for this summer-- go back and solidify the math facts they should be solid in before plowing on. I can't think of any good reason not to go with Singapore. We use Singapore and supplement with Life of Fred for my just finishing grammar stage son. I absolutely love how Singapore PM (I have the US edition) presents the geometry concepts in level 5B-- we are constantly cutting out shapes and folding them around and fitting angles together to understand how all those relationships work. My 9YO is devouring it.

We play games (as I have described elsewhere) with everyday objects all the time. You can do a lot with a box of 100 colored pencils. How many ways can you make ten? 24? How many piles can you divide 24 pencils into with none left over? How many different ways can you do this? If you divide 24 pencils into 4 piles, how many are in each pile?

I made a set of flash cards, and we play the "Penny game" a lot. Lay out the cards in an array, flip the coin. Whichever card the penny lands upon is the question you must answer within 3 seconds. Get it right, you get to keep the card. Get it wrong, you flip it back over (person guessing flips over the card-- it helps with retention). If one person is trying to learn, then when all the cards are gone, the learner keeps his cards, everyone else puts them back in the array again, and play repeats until the learner has won all the cards (or at least a certain number. After a point, I make older brother drop out of the game, gracefully).

For DS9, finishing the LOF elementary set and checking off his math facts carried the huge incentive of being permitted to start Life of Fred: Fractions.

Can you link me to where you listed the activities that you do? I am VERY interested!

Have you looked at Hands on Equations? it looks at early algebraic concepts an a very hands on manner, and it is reinforcing the more basic number relationships at the same time (and it motivates DS9 in terms of why these more basic math facts will be important later).

It sounds as if you have a great plan for this summer-- go back and solidify the math facts they should be solid in before plowing on. I can't think of any good reason not to go with Singapore. We use Singapore and supplement with Life of Fred for my just finishing grammar stage son. I absolutely love how Singapore PM (I have the US edition) presents the geometry concepts in level 5B-- we are constantly cutting out shapes and folding them around and fitting angles together to understand how all those relationships work. My 9YO is devouring it.

We play games (as I have described elsewhere) with everyday objects all the time. You can do a lot with a box of 100 colored pencils. How many ways can you make ten? 24? How many piles can you divide 24 pencils into with none left over? How many different ways can you do this? If you divide 24 pencils into 4 piles, how many are in each pile?

I made a set of flash cards, and we play the "Penny game" a lot. Lay out the cards in an array, flip the coin. Whichever card the penny lands upon is the question you must answer within 3 seconds. Get it right, you get to keep the card. Get it wrong, you flip it back over (person guessing flips over the card-- it helps with retention). If one person is trying to learn, then when all the cards are gone, the learner keeps his cards, everyone else puts them back in the array again, and play repeats until the learner has won all the cards (or at least a certain number. After a point, I make older brother drop out of the game, gracefully).

For DS9, finishing the LOF elementary set and checking off his math facts carried the huge incentive of being permitted to start Life of Fred: Fractions.