Menu

Band and musical instruments on hs transcripts

Ds plays 2 instruments in 2 different home school bands. He doesn't take lessons at the moment (it's expensive and music is a hobby, not a passion, for him so the bands and daily practice are enough) and the bands meet each for one hour a week, with occasional concerts.

Can I count this as "band" for an elective credit each year? I can't see a need to have 2 credits, though really I probably could as one is advanced band for one instrument, one intermediate for another.

He also takes a music theory class and will take the ap after the second year next year. I was going to just combine the bands and music theory into 1 music credit per year, but since it seems the more credits the merrier, maybe separating them is better?

I agree with Margaret that having strong extracurr is more important than extra fine arts credits.

As for how much equals a credit, of course it's your homeschool. But in mine, I do compare with the public schools simply because outside eyes (colleges etc) will be assuming a meaning comparable to typical public schools.

When my kids got 1 credit in public schools it involved:

- 5 days a week of playing in a group and instruction/feedback

- 5-7 days a week of practice at home

- occasional outside-of-class (before or after school, or lunchtime) auditions, recordings, meetings with teacher, chair challenges, etc.

- often private lessons, not required but pretty much expected if you wanted to strive for first chair

- regular outside performances to different audiences

- often a summer requirement for marching band or the like

Julie

Ah, good to know! I hadn't thought of extra-curriculars...he basically has none, so instead of grouping the bands with music theory, I will put them in extra-curriculars. He helps assist at the beginning band, too, so that is a nice extra/volunteer type thing.

Another question! Is music theory a fine art, or a performing art? I asked Ds, he doesn't know. I'm not at all musical.

Another question! Is music theory a fine art, or a performing art? I asked Ds, he doesn't know. I'm not at all musical.

I'm sure you could break it down in different ways. As far as credit requirements, I've mostly seen those broken down into fine arts & practical arts, and music is in the fine arts category (vs. shop etc.).

It looks like that's how Wikipedia is defining it. Also my local public schools categorize music as part of their fine arts requirement. You can often google "X School graduation requirements" or "S School course catalog" to see what's going on in your area.

Julie