Menu

Math-U-See Revision vs. Saxon 4th Edition for Algebra I

Both of these programs have undergone major revisions. Math-U-See has beefed up the conceptual and application side while Saxon scaled back the lengthy review sections and separated geometry into its own book. Are these two programs now fairly equivalent?

I am not the least bit mathy and am finding it difficult to compare. We have used Math-U-See since K. In the past few years, I've added in Life of Fred for theory and been fairly happy with the results. However, the local opportunity for classroom instruction uses the Saxon text. I love the idea of having a live teacher for the pivotal Algebra I concepts.

I did search the forums, but didn't find much discussion about Math-U-See for high school. Is it really that weak?

My kids have used MUS from the time we started homeschooling until Algebra for one and the beginning of Algebra 2 for the other. Both switched this year for different reasons. Although math is a weak subject area here, both tested very well after completing their highest level of MUS. They also had no problems switching into Lial's which is considered to be a stronger program. If MUS was as weak as I always hear, I would have thought test scores and switching would have been a problem and they weren't.

MUS Algebra 1 doesn't cover the quadratic formula, it is in Algebra 2. We too used LOF as a supplement and covered it there. Geometry is light on proofs... an introduction is there, but it is gentle. We pulled out not far into Algebra 2 so I really can't comment on it. I think that in the high school materials, the MUS format gets them into trouble. More teaching is needed to cover the number of concepts that need to be covered. They keep lessons short and only provide one video lesson per week and it just isn't enough.

My kids both switched to Lial's and the greater number of sample problems has been very helpful. There are more challenging word problems in Lial's too. Dd switched half way through Algebra and never missed a beat (although she will still use MUS Geometry next year). Ds switched just a little into Algebra 2 and had to start over with Lial's but hasn't suffered any from not switching sooner.