Menu

Where to start with IEW?

dasilva324

Hoping someone can tell me where I need to start with IEW...I have daughter who is technically 3rd grade but needs to do some catch up in writing...she is not really ready for 4th grade in the fall. Last Spring we finished the IEW PALS program and it was great...the only reason I didn't start something more with IEW was cost. So after trying to find something affordable I am back to wanting IEW. I am wondering if someone can tell me what I need next as far as IEW and what is the least amount of stuff I can buy from them and still get by. Thanks.

The folks at IEW will tell you that you need to use the TWSS, but I think you could get by with either the TWSS or SWI. TWSS teaches *you* how to teach their writing method, while SWI is the actual writing instruction on DVD, for your children to watch. If you watch the SWI DVDs with your DD, you could get along fine with just that.

Keep your eyes open for used copies. I sold my SWI-A DVDs (without student handouts) for $60 a month or two ago.

For a reluctant writer at your DD's age, I would go no higher than SWI-A. My DD did this in 3rd grade last year (along with her brother who was in 5th grade) and she loved Andrew Pudewa's teaching. By the end of the year, she was begging for me to get the next IEW package (as opposed to switching to a different writing program). Feel free to slow it down and take more than one year to finish - the SWI-A is intended for 3rd-5th grades, so you could definitely stretch it out over 2 years if you needed to slow down the pace.

If you know the program start wtih Fables and Fairy Tales or the All Thing sFun and Fascinating.

I have had that suggested to me as well...do you think if I have used the PALS program that I would be able to just buy Fables and Fairy Tales or All Things Fun and Fasicinating and get by? I was thinking of doing this but was unsure if what we did in PALS was all of "the program I needed".

If you know the program start wtih Fables and Fairy Tales or the All Thing sFun and Fascinating.

I have had that suggested to me as well...do you think if I have used the PALS program that I would be able to just buy Fables and Fairy Tales or All Things Fun and Fasicinating and get by? I was thinking of doing this but was unsure if what we did in PALS was all of "the program I needed".

We went from PAL to All Things Fun and Fascinating without using the TWSS. I did watch the $10 overview DVD they sell. Also, if you haven't already, join the Yahoo group- there are so many helpful resources in the files. And on IEW's website they have recorded webinars that deal with each individual unit. That way if you get to one you don't really understand how to teach you can look there for help. The author of ATFF makes it very easy to teach and the student resource book that you can download for free once you get the book is very helpful.

Hi Andrea,

Author of PAL here--thought I would give you more information to help you with your decision.

Remember, IEW is dedicated to teacher training. That is why the TWSS (Teaching Writing: Structure and Style) is our core program. Everything else is supplementary to that. Teaching writing is an art, and there are many, many things to attend to as you teach over the years. The cost covers not only the program, but also the support through the forum and free webinars and a lifetime guarantee so that you will never have buyer's remorse. There is even a very low cost lost or damaged DVD replacement, so you never have to worry about your materials.

Fortunately, there are many ways to get IEW teacher's training without having to buy the TWSS. Check with your homeschool group; many have it in their library for loan. Or check with a friend who might be willing to lend it. Better, invite some friends to go in a group purchase. Each member buys their own TWSS notebook ($35) and then watch the thing together (great accountability!). Or, buy it, sell it used, and consider the difference a rental fee.

I have been homeschooling for 20 years, and I can't tell you how much the TWSS has given me--not only for teaching writing but for teaching everything! I have watched it all the way through at least 3 times in the last 10 years, and STILL learn something new each time through.

In any case, for your 3rd grader, any of the level A materials would be great. The SWI A is my favorite because I love having Andrew teach my kids. The new Bible Heroes is also excellent and includes games and grammar, so it is a perfect thing after PAL. All Things Fun has more hand-holding than the Fairy Tales or Geography based, so those three would be your best bet.

Blessings,

Jill Pike

We went from PAL to All Things Fun and Fascinating without using the TWSS. I did watch the $10 overview DVD they sell. Also, if you haven't already, join the Yahoo group- there are so many helpful resources in the files. And on IEW's website they have recorded webinars that deal with each individual unit. That way if you get to one you don't really understand how to teach you can look there for help. The author of ATFF makes it very easy to teach and the student resource book that you can download for free once you get the book is very helpful.

Edeemarie, I am curious what your thoughts are regarding the $10 overview DVD. I'm a past IEW user and fan, but have not seen that overview DVD. In recommending IEW to others who want to teach it, I've wondered, is that overview worth watching, or is it more like an IEW promo for parents of kids who are being taught IEW by someone else (like at a co-op)? What did you think, was it very useful or not?

Edeemarie, I am curious what your thoughts are regarding the $10 overview DVD. I'm a past IEW user and fan, but have not seen that overview DVD. In recommending IEW to others who want to teach it, I've wondered, is that overview worth watching, or is it more like an IEW promo for parents of kids who are being taught IEW by someone else (like at a co-op)? What did you think, was it very useful or not?

I did find it helpful. My only previous exposure to IEW was PAL writing so I was worried I would not be able to do it without watching TWSS. I decided to give it a try and watched the overview DVD. It really helped me see the big picture in where the program was going to take us in writing and how we would get there.

There is also a handout to the DVD here:

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/files/SSO_Handouts.pdf

And here is another outline of tips and tricks for the units:

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/files/tips_handout.pdf

I did find it helpful. My only previous exposure to IEW was PAL writing so I was worried I would not be able to do it without watching TWSS. I decided to give it a try and watched the overview DVD. It really helped me see the big picture in where the program was going to take us in writing and how we would get there.

There is also a handout to the DVD here:

http://www.excellenc...SO_Handouts.pdf

And here is another outline of tips and tricks for the units:

http://www.excellenc...ips_handout.pdf

Ah, I see. Thank you, and thanks also for posting the links!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest eslmama

Hi, I'm hoping somebody can tell me more about PAL from IEW. I have heard of IEW and thought it was a good program. But I had never heard of PALS before today.

It looks to be a comprehensive language arts program and it is multisensory. Wondering if it is something I could try with my kiddos, who have been taught to read using OG. I'm drawn to this because it looks fun and complete. Quite honestly, with OG, I am always looking for and inventing materials and would love to be able to have step-by-step materials that I can tweak as needed.

Please let me know your thoughts. What do you love/not love about PAL? How is it similar to/different from OG, Barton, Wilson Fundations, etc.? Also, what is the relationship between this and Phonetic Zoo?

Any help you can offer about IEW's writing programs would be appreciated also. I am getting a good feeling about this. Please let me know. Thanks!