Menu

Science for 5th grade 2nd year homeschooler

bawoodham

We are in our second year of homeschooling and I am considering science options for all of my children but mostly stumped for my 5th grade DD. We are looking at BFSU level 1 to guide us for my ds in K for a few years as we are using CM style education. I will probably use Apologia Gen Science for my 7th grader. This year we tried the Gods Design series. Although my son did great with it, It was too much info on Ecosystems for my daughter. I feel she will burn out on an Apologia book as well. She is coming from public schools, and does not have a foundational knowledge to build on. We have lots of great Usborne books since I am a consultant, but we need a plan on putting the pieces together and making it come alive for her.

Since you mentioned having lots of Usborne books around, Elemental Science might work for you. ES uses encyclopedias as its spines, and it consists of a schedule with hands-on weekly activities, discussion questions, vocabulary, quizzes, etc., all laid out for you. You can skip the exercises or topics or output that don't appeal to you without missing out on anything. ES is very flexible that way and provides a good foundation. You don't have to use the specific encyclopedias that are recommended if you have an equivalent on hand. I think your 5th grader and 7th grader could even use the same package (intermediate/logic stage), with possibly more output required for the older if you wanted to go that route.

Mr. Q's Science may work well for her. We used the elementary chemistry this year, and I feel like if was very thorough, yet presented in a fun, engaging way. Life Science is free and there is a complete chapter of all the other ones on the website to look at.