Menu

What to do with son and math?

Mynyel

He is 11. We are halfway through MUS Gamma and I am struggling with him. He hasn't memorized his multiplication. He still uses his fingers for simple math. He can't add in his head. He knows the concepts and he gets it right but it takes him forever. I am all about self paced learning but this is just getting ridiculous.

How can I drive these things home? I don't want to keep going and push him through. I don't want to go back to Beta because it will devastate his confidence. What can I do to help him learn this stuff?

Pulling my hair out here!

I was having trouble with my daughter doing MUS so we started doing MEP. I also have her practice math facts on xtramath.org once a day. She is slowly improving, but it is pretty slow going. I just don't think she is number minded. My 10 year old does fine as long as we review or supplement with MUS once in a while, but she just wasn't getting it.

My daughter is only 8 so we started her in Year 1. It has helped her to have different ways of looking at things and using lots of different types of manipulatives. She wants to try teaching textbooks next year because she really enjoys doing things on the computer, but if she has trouble at all I will just jump back in with MEP.

I have looked at Math Mammoth a bit as well and we even used it once in a while for fun. If you are looking for a less teacher intensive program, it would probably be a great option. MEP requires you to do most of it with them.

Life of Fred is also a fun option that we supplement with, but I don't use it as a stand alone curriculum.

I love your avatar. I think that same thing every time I see him.

Pulling my hair out here!

or maybe he has just been pulling his hair out!

As far as your son goes, assuming no LD's, I would certainly move on to a text that introduces him to more topics and has built in spiral review so he can continue to practice those skills. Saxon may be too far at the other end of the spectrum, but may be something like Horizons or ABeka. I wouldn't let the fact that he hasn't memorized his multiplication facts be the sole determining factor in what grade level I chose- especially if he has actually been working on them consistently and understands the concept. Continue to work on them separate from his regular math, but when he does his regular math give him a multiplication chart. Doing this he may be able to start in a 4th grade text instead of 3rd. Some kids just need to use those multiplication skills in order to memorize the facts. Definitely do a placement test with a multiplication chart and see.

Plan to work daily through the summer, because at this point you have a child entering 6th grade who is barely working at a third grade level. His math skills will determine if he is able to do high school level science. Some physical science courses can be completed alongside pre-Alg, but others assume pre-Alg skills and should be completed alongside Alg1. So, he really needs to work on this in order to be ready for high school science in a few years.

HTH-

Mandy