Menu

s/o For Library Workers

eaglei

Re selling used library books online FOR a library - is there any concern needed regarding taxes, etc., since the library is non-profit? Is it better to sell through a Friends of the Library group, or directly through the library itself?

Did your library establish a PayPal account for doing postage/mailing labels even though selling, for example, on Amazon, who doesn't use PayPal?

As I pull my ideas together for the requested pros and cons *proposal* so the library can decide whether to pursue this, I have family members tossing out ideas that I hadn't thought of . . . so, as the deadline approaches, I'm coming to the experts for help!

Thank You!

p.s. If you think there is something I need to consider, PLEASE tell me - I would so greatly appreciate any input!

Thank you!

My former library was a municipal entity. As such, they were not tax exempt nor could they have any local government employee selling the books. The Friends of the Library did all the book sales at the library and online. As a non-profit group, they held a 501c tax exempt status and the volunteers would be responsible for all money handling.

My former library was a municipal entity. As such, they were not tax exempt nor could they have any local government employee selling the books. The Friends of the Library did all the book sales at the library and online. As a non-profit group, they held a 501c tax exempt status and the volunteers would be responsible for all money handling.

Municipal entity - that means the employees were employed and paid by the local government - right?

Do you know a quick *legal* reference to support the employees of the library not doing the selling? I'm apparently googling it wrong . . .

Thanks!

Gotta run but will check back later today!

Correct. I was a city employee who worked in a library. As such, the HR policies of the city were what we had to follow. The library was considered a government institution and therefore was not a non-profit.

Maybe you could look into HR policies that govern library employees?