Menu

Suggestions for a Spelling Program

PandaMom

I am hoping to get some suggestions for a spelling program for DD(8). She was diagnosed with PDD-NOS with feature's of Asperger's last year along with cognitive delays and working memory difficulty. She also has speech delays and her articulation is not the best but getting better through therapy. Her short term memory is giving us problems but her long term memory is a totally different story. She has a tendancy not to forget anything. She loves doing sight words and she is very good at it. It doesn't seem to take much for her to pick up on them. I am doing AAR 1 and Wordly Wise 3000 with her and she has a good vocabulary and her reading is coming on nicely but slow because of her articulation. Now she is wanting to do spelling and I think it would be good for her and a confidence booster as well. I am just having a hard time picking a spelling program for her with so many to choose from. Can I get some recommendations on a program that might be a good fit for her. She does have a hard time breaking down the individual sounds. Is there one that is more "visual" than others? If it matters, she doesn't mind writing words out.

Susie

DD(8)

I would also recommend AAS. It has worked wonders for all of my children, especially my ds who has cerebral palsy. He has auditory processing issues and the way AAS breaks everything down into manageable bites has been the secret to his success. I would recommend beginning at level 1 and going at her own pace. The repetition and the multisensory approach help the student retain what they have learned but it also can be fun!

Good luck!

Elise in NC