Menu

Vocabulary?

My daughter used Vocabulary for the High School Student. I like the Amsco books, but I'm having trouble finding the high school workbook for my son.

My daughter is starting Lukeion Latin 1 and my son is starting Latin Alive. This will be their 3rd year of Latin, and they will continue to AP Latin. We also have Direct Hits for SAT vocab.

We don't need a separate vocabulary workbook program anymore, right????

I agree that vocab programs are not needed if tons of literature is in the offing. However, I could not resist "The Word Within the Word" Vol. I, by Michael Clay Thompson. The book is organized into lists of word roots, mostly from Latin and Greek. Less-common derivatives are used to illustrate word-formation. The activities are well-designed; overall the book is a great resource for the teacher. One of my favorite activities is the Guess challenge, in which students make well-informed guesses about the meaning of some truly bizarre words. We had to go to the OED on a few of these for definitions! Analogy practice is well-written, with different logical categories used in different questions to increase the challenge/insight. Another great activity revolves around the writing prompts given in the text -- some stealth composition-writing is always welcome! I love the neologism challenge -- make up your own word (but it has to make sense from the roots!) This is one vocab book that, in providing a potpourri of well-designed word activities, has made vocab study productive and fun. The intro to the teacher indicates that is essential to memorize the twenty stems and their one-word meanings (which comprise each lesson). I can't tell you how useful it is to have instant recall of the meaning of the roots -- you can read and understand faster. Learning to encode lists in memory was super-difficult for me until I watched the Teaching Company's three hour lecture series on "Scientific Secrets for a Powerful Memory," with Peter Vishton. I've been using my brain wrong all these years..... Rabbit trails~ enjoy.

My daughter used Vocabulary for the High School Student. I like the Amsco books, but I'm having trouble finding the high school workbook for my son.

Amazon itself doesn't currently have one available, but there are new ones listed by other sellers. When it comes to workbooks, if I bought from an individual, I'd go with one that is fulfilled by Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Vocabulary-School-Student-Norman-Levine/dp/1567651151