Menu

Nook Color HD+ for Homeschool

OK - so we took the plunge and purchased a Nook Color HD+ (the 9 inch screen) for DS15. He has many LD's (some of which are executive function issues), and already has a Livescribe Pen that we are learning to work with. Livescribe can use Evernote as an interface once files are transferred to a PC.

So I thought I'd write up a little review as to what it can be used for, parental controls, etc. They are on sale, btw, until the 12th - a really good deal.

First - we never wanted our kids to have tablets (portable internet connections). They do not have data phones and the only internet they have is on a PC in our family room. So - parental controls were a priority and one that had stopped us from buying earlier. The Nook HD's have a great system. The parent is an Admin and the registered user. The parent sets up an account on the Nook for up to 5 other people with individual settings on each one. Add the "Application Locker" app (free) from Google Play and you've got a great system.

Speaking of Google Play - B & N added access to it last week.

All the features are very nice - Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, HD screen, very light, user-friendly, intuitive interface.

So - on to uses that we've set up so far:

Obviously - a Nook. We are already a family of Nook users.

Flashcards (free app): There are many free and paid apps that can download flashcards from various websites, access Wikipedia info, translate, etc., and with which you can create personalized cards and sets. They are awesome!

Evernote (Free App): My son can now access his LiveScribe notebooks on the Nook for studying rather than having to sit in front of a PC.

Dictionaries (Free App): We now have dictionaries for English, Spanish-English, and English-Spanish available with offline access.

Graphing Calculator (Free and Paid app): We have downloaded the free version and are going to test it. If it isn't good enough, I'm willing to spend the $2 for a paid app. This alone will save us about $100 on a calculator for next year!

Google Translate (free app): Easy access with no need to have access to the entire internet

Student Planner (free app): There are so many of these, both free and paid. The one we chose has class schedules, assignments, and a notification system to remind him of what is due when. Haven't used this too much yet - but we'll either be using the one we have, or another one - as long as it has those reminders/alarms

Mind Webs/ Graphic Organizer (free app): So fun and cool to play with :) I can see this being a wonderful tool for research papers

Netflix: We use Netflix for our documentaries/assigned movies.

Teacher Planners: I am not using one, but looked at a few free ones in the app store. They look great. There is even a free (I think) organization app for homeschoolers in the B & N app store.

I'm sure I'll be coming up with more. I'm really looking forward to seeing if this technology will help him transition to taking dual enrollment classes his JR year (next year is Sophomore year), and eventually going to college after graduation.

AWESOME!! As soon as I can get to the store I'm buying a Nook HD+ with a BN credit I've had since Christmas! I am soooooo excited about finally getting this and can't wait to see how useful it will be for homeschooling. It's really for ME, since my oldest is 6 and won't use it unsupervised, but please do share more as you can. I'm very low tech at this point - I don't have a smartphone and am just now plunging into the world of tablets, so I really have no idea of what apps and features are available or even where to start. Thanks so much for the info!

Blondchen - I'm also a relative newby to tech :) I do have a tablet (no smart phones) that also uses an Android operating system - so that made his Nook tablet very easy to work with. Really not much of a learning curve, though :) If I can use them, anyone can, lol.

I'm sure you'll find it amazingly useful!