Menu

Opinions please: Memoria Classical Comp or WWE for 4th?

I have a few questions for folks who have used these programs..which do you prefer and why? This is for a 4th grader who has never done an official writing program..we have used Abeka Language for 3rd grade..and next year we are switching to Rod and Staff. Would Rod and Staff grammar be enough?

Thing is this..IF I were to choose WWE, I would feel compelled to purchase levels for younger siblings..1st and 3rd grade next year..(severe case of curriculitis, I know)..

I really like Memoria Press overall, and I like the looks of Classical Composition (btw I like WWE too)..but the $30 TM kinda turned me off..from what I can see from samples online, it doesn't necessarily look like I *NEED* the TM..but sometimes the samples can be deceiving..Do I have to have the TM to do the program?

And to reiterate my earlier question..would RS Grammar be enough writing instruction?

If this made any sense..please give me some input..it's appreciated!

It really depends on what you want...I will try to answer as much as I can...

Rod & Staff English has a writing component to it that is good enough to me, especially in the early grades if you do not want to use anything else...It teaches concepts like paragraph formation, etc....If you plan to use Rod & Staff, you should be fine...

WWE is different from R&S in that it teaches copywork, narration, and dictation skills...If that is what you are looking for, you can use R&S for the grammar element only, and use WWE for the writing portion...One word of caution is that it may be difficult to start with WWE 4 if you haven't done one of the previous levels...The reading selections can be difficult for some 4th graders who have never done the program...You might want to look over the samples to see if you should start with level 3 or even level 2 depending on where your student is...

MP Composition teaches something called the progymnasmata which is designed to teach persuasive writing by first giving you literary works to imitate and do several exercises that teach the technique of writing...If that is what you are looking for, this would be a good choice...

Personally, I think any of the three of these are great programs depending on what is needed that year...I own all three of what is mentioned above, and they are all fine choices, it just depends on what you want to accomplish...

Bottom Line - If you are looking for the most for your dollar right now and a fuss free introduction to writing for your 4th grader, Rod & Staff is enough...If you are concerned about the copywork and narration elements that WWE would bring, you can add that in on your own using any passages and sentences you choose from any subject area...

We used Abeka and quit mid 4th grade. Jumped around with Bob Jones and Easy Grammar. Read Rod and Staff worked for some people so we decided to go for it. At that time my dd was in 5th grade and started her with grade 4. It has been life changing gor us. There is writing every 4th lesson or so. Not alot of writing so she narrated the Story of the World everyday. Three years later today she is doing grade 8. We do what we can orally (since there is much repetition from previous years) and the diagraming goes on notebook. For more writing she is doing the Writing with Skill level 1 by Wise. Both are her favorite subjects.