Menu

Anyone here let their kids play the game Oblivion? Or know anything about it?

My very responsible, mature 14 yos really wants this game. I have said no at this point based on some things I've read about it. I told him I'd research it more later.

He's asked again and since I don't have time to research it I told him to write a persuasive paper about it. He's doing it right now. :001_huh:

Any opinions here about the game?

From DH:

"The game was originally rated Teen but was upgraded to Mature, not due to anything sexu@l or profanity, but due to hack fantasy violence. I've only played it to a limited amount, but so far I haven't seen anything that really warranted the Mature rating.

I have enjoyed the game, and its content, at least what I've seen, is very similar to the content of the games I played at your son's age.

The thing that sticks out with me the most is that the developers at least tried to work in a more realistic moral code than games like Grand Theft Auto. For instance, in GTA you can steal as many cars, rob as many stores, and run down as many pedestrians as you desire as long as the police don't see you do it. If you escape their attention, there will be no consequences. In Oblivion, if you steal something, those from whom you have stolen will not forget your misdeeds, and there are consequences to every act (however, you can become skilled at thievery to a point that you will not be caught).

In conclusion, Oblivion is a very well-made, open-ended game that is a solid alternative to the online RPGs that are populated by millions of people that you don't know. It is the closest thing to the beloved World of Warcraft without being online."

HTH,

Dawn

From DH:

"The game was originally rated Teen but was upgraded to Mature, not due to anything sexu@l or profanity, but due to hack fantasy violence. I've only played it to a limited amount, but so far I haven't seen anything that really warranted the Mature rating.

I have enjoyed the game, and its content, at least what I've seen, is very similar to the content of the games I played at your son's age.

The thing that sticks out with me the most is that the developers at least tried to work in a more realistic moral code than games like Grand Theft Auto. For instance, in GTA you can steal as many cars, rob as many stores, and run down as many pedestrians as you desire as long as the police don't see you do it. If you escape their attention, there will be no consequences. In Oblivion, if you steal something, those from whom you have stolen will not forget your misdeeds, and there are consequences to every act (however, you can become skilled at thievery to a point that you will not be caught).

In conclusion, Oblivion is a very well-made, open-ended game that is a solid alternative to the online RPGs that are populated by millions of people that you don't know. It is the closest thing to the beloved World of Warcraft without being online."

HTH,

Dawn

Thanks, Dawn's dh. :) This helps me some. I do plan on doing some research and so is my son but it's nice to hear from other parents.

I've played Oblivion (extensively), being the gamer geek that I am. :D

Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but I can see how some parents might, particularly if you're coming from a conservative Christian pov.

Just to let you know... there's a considerable amount of fantasy violence, and the creatures that come out of the Oblivion gates are demons. Some of the quests, like those for the Dark Brotherhood, involve some questionable moral choices. But there is no s*x and no graphic violence. The game itself is pretty tame. It's nowhere near something like GTA, and isn't anywhere near as graphic as something like Diablo.

Hope this helps!

Thank, sailmom. We are moderately conservative here. I let my son play games most of his friends can't play and have no qualms but I really want to make good choices and not screw this up. So far it sounds like a reasonable game for him to play.