Menu

Top Choices for US History Read Alouds from Westward Expansion

to present day. Dd will be in 4th on paper but can handle above grade level content and challenging writing. She also still enjoys beautifully written and illustrated picture books. So, I'm open to quite a range. Please help me plan next year by sharing your favorites! Yes, I've looked at several booklists from various providers; I'm interested in hearing what you and your children have truly enjoyed.

Thanks!

My boys and I really enjoyed A Pioneer Sampler by Barbara Greenwood. There is a narrated story as you follow a pioneer family from 1840 throughout their daily life and then it goes into detail about specifics such as milking, dying wool, threshing, storing corn, etc. There are directions for activities and projects as well. The illustrations are lovely.

ETA: We also enjoyed Sign of the Beaver and Once Upon this Island.

My boys and I really enjoyed A Pioneer Sampler by Barbara Greenwood. There is a narrated story as you follow a pioneer family from 1840 throughout their daily life and then it goes into detail about specifics such as milking, dying wool, threshing, storing corn, etc. There are directions for activities and projects as well. The illustrations are lovely.

ETA: We also enjoyed Sign of the Beaver and Once Upon this Island.

Thanks so much for your feedback, Brittney. My daughter already wants a family cow to milk, so I'm sure she would love A Pioneer Sampler! : )