Menu

VideoText Module A with RightStart G

Aloha2U

Has anyone here actually done this as suggested by Dr. Cotter?

I thought I had decided on having my little man do Math Mammoth 6 alongside RightStart G next year, and then possibly AoPS Prealgebra alongside it the following year. (I even had it all planned out already in my G4 Year-at-a-Glance.) However, I keep going back to my gut feeling, which is to just have him start VT A alongside RS G next year.

I already have VT Module A and AoPS Prealgebra, and looking through both of them... I'm thinking that I'll use VT A as our spine - due to his age and abilities, though still on the young side of readiness - and AoPS Prealgebra as a complementary supplement.

I recently emailed RS seeking their thoughts about VideoText vs. AoPS and sharing my concerns - mainly additional work on fractions, decimals, and percents, and the fact that my little man seems to prefer the AoPS Prealgebra samples (which includes the online videos) over the VT video samples (which seem dry and oh so boring, in his honest opinion). I received the following response, which others here may find helpful. :)

Let me start off with your question about additional work on fractions, decimals and percents. These topics are included to some degree in the Geometric Approach. However, much of this review and further training comes with the student's work in VideoText and in their continuing to play the Math Card Games. When my son completed Level G, I was concerned that he had 'forgotten' too much to start in VT Algebra. However, he has done marvelously! In fact, next year we are scheduled to complete VideoText Algebra (High School Algebra I and II) and he will only be in the 8th grade! (Proud Mama comment!!!) From there we plan on taking the CLEP test, which is what Tom Clark from VideoText recommends.

Now, for my opinion on AoPS vs. VideoText. I have not used AoPS, so I cannot really give much of an opinion. I have used VideoText and while I understand your son's concern about having a 'boring' presentation, I can tell you that it is an excellent program. My son knows and understands the 'whys' of Algebra, not just the processes. I did spend a little time looking through information and reviews on AoPS and see that it does claim to teach the 'why' of math - which is extremely important!!! I have also seen that it can be quite rigorous. In the end, I think you need to choose a program that teaches quality math (be sure they teach the 'Why' and not just the processes!!!) in a way that your son will continue to enjoy.

Thoughts? What would you do?

You might post this on the Accelerated Learning Board as your student is quite young and some helpful folks who post there might not see this here. Just for clarity, you are thinking of going from RS E directly to VT Algebra along with RS G, is that correct? Without more information about your student and how he learns best, and why you want to accelerate to algebra it is hard to offer comments or suggestions.

I am not familiar with VideoText or RS. I edited out the rest of my post for that reason - I'm afraid I wasn't making sense. FWIW, all operations with fractions and decimals plus operations with negative numbers are prerequisites for AoPS Prealgebra. It is very challenging for a young one (BTDT).