Menu

Scheduling/Curriculum Help Please? How to "work in" twins

After trying to do searches, but coming up with "not much," I guess I'll just ask. :) I'm planning to homeschool my 3 girls starting this summer/fall. I've already been homeschooling my oldest since October, but we'll be adding the two "littles." Next year my girls will be: oldest in 4th grade and two younger (twins) in 1st grade. I would love to hear about/"see" schedules that others have come up with. I know a lot of it will just be figuring it out as we go, but I'd like to have some sort of "schedule" in place to start with. I'm trying to picture in my mind how they'll all be working on stuff at the same time.

Already, if I give my twins a workbook page to do, they are very competitive. But I'll want to teach them at the same time, ya know? So I'm guessing I would need to give them something to do while I do a lesson of some sort with my oldest. Then she'll need to do some independent work while I work with the twins. I would love to just see how this looks for others. I know we'll do things like science and history together. I just don't want our day to be stretched out from 8 to 5, as far as actual school work is concerned. :)

Curriculum I'm thinking of so far (if you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them):

4th Grader:

CLE Math/Singapore Challenging Word Problems

Abeka Language 4(maybe some FLL 3)

A Reason For Handwriting D

Spelling Workout (finish C first, thenD) - not sure I want to stick with this Spelling, though

WWE 2 or Bravewriter or??? - don't know what to do for writing. She seems to hate it!!

1st Graders:

CLE Math (maybe?)

A Reason For Handwriting A

Abeka Phonics (Letters & Sounds) and/or OPGTR

Abeka Lang. 1 and/or FLL1

WWE 1

Together:

SOTW vol. 2 (finish vol. 1 this summer)

Drawing with Children & other art study

Maybe Latin?

Science - don't know what I want to do for this yet

Bible

Music?

I had a similar situation as you last year, but my twins were the 4th graders and my singleton was a 1st grader. You're right, it will be a lot of trial and error to find what fits your family. I remember last year being somewhat difficult as I felt that everyone needed my attention at all times. I can't say I really had a schedule as it felt like it changed each day based on who needed me most.

Things that worked for me were finding subjects they could do independently like handwritng/cursive, art, typing games, or reading, so that I could concentrate one-on-one with another child and keep the others working. When they finished a subject, they weren't quite mature enough to find something else school related to complete - much more fun to play:), so I started having my olders learn how to read my planning chart. That way they could reference it and move on to another subject if they were able without having to ask me. It was a great first step to studying more independently and made much fewer interruptions. I know some on this board have also had a lot of success with workboxes to keep their kids on track. If you search for it, I'm sure you'll find many threads about it.

This year feels like a 180 degree turn. My olders are now 5th grade and probably do 75% of their work independently with me acting more as a planner and reviewer of their work. My younger (2nd grader) still needs me most of the time, but in reality it's only 2-3 hours a day, so very doable.

I guess I'm saying that from my experience be prepared to be a little overwhelmed this year, but hang in there it does get easier.

Best wishes this next year.

Jennifer

I have those exact ages now :D My twin girls do most of their work together. I use a little bit different curriculum but not much.

You can definitely combine the handwriting and FLL together.

We list all our assignments for the day on the whiteboard, today we had:

math

AAR

WWE

FLL

History

Computer Games (educational)

They take turns rolling the dice and if they get six, it is a free pick. computer games are ALWAYS for break time when they get bogged down with math, etc. While one does their break, I will work with the other's individual reading time. I have found I can't really combine reading other than review and activities that are review. So, if they roll the dice and we do AAR, I present the new phonograms, do the review cards with each girl and allow them to do the activities together but I make sure to come back at some point and work through the review cards and fluency sheet individually with each girl, in addition to each individually reading to me.

We do the lessons together such as the "lecture/teaching part" but for math, etc. I separate them on separate sides of the table so they won't copy those answers. I just sit at the table with them.

My boys are both doing 4th grade work and work mostly independently. I have to give some assistance with math or english. We don't do the Math lectures on the whiteboard like we do with the girls but they seem to really grasp it right now, anyway but if we do need to cover new material, I present it on the whiteboard together and then they work independently

eta: we do history and science on alternating days, lastly at the end of the day. Sometimes even after dinner.