Menu

I need phonics/spelling suggestions. please :-)

IceFairy

DS will be wrapping up Adv. in Phonics B and Building Spelling Skills A pretty soon. He started them in K. He is reading fairly well and is a natural speller, never getting less than 90% on a spelling test all year (not bad for age 5!!!)...but the rules are not really setting in at all. His reading and spelling are more instinctive. He is reading level 1-3 readers easily. I am not sure where to go from here. I was looking at A Reason for Spelling B but am open to any and all suggestions.....although nothing to writing intensive, given his age. Thanks ladies!

Apples & Pears is pretty gentle, it starts with tracing and moves on to sentences as the first book progresses, and doesn't have lists of rules to memorize like AAS. I've seen a lot of progress in DD's spelling since we started A&P. She's not a natural speller and AAS was not working. The company's phonics program, Dancing Bears, requires almost no writing, other than circling words.

All About Spelling might be too rigorous for a natural speller, but it teaches all of the rules. You could use it and move thru it quicker. I do that with one of my kids. Otherwise, Rod and Staff is good, so is Apples and Pears. I never knew most of the rules that my kids have learned with All about spelling. I was taught old school...memorize the list and test on Friday. I was also a natural speller, and it never hurt me "not" knowing the rules. That being said, I am glad that they are learning them. It helps a struggling speller to know the rules.