Menu

Trouble deciding about reading, AAR or Happy Phonics

I really cannot decide which way to go for my daughter, both will probably work out just fine. All About Reading seems like a lot of time and money to teach reading. There will be 4 levels. But, it also may be fun. I do plan to use AAS.

I used Happy Phonics several years ago with my son, I don't have it anymore but I remember the games were a hit. We also use Sonlight so I will be using Sonlight LA. It seems that Sonlight LA and Happy Phonics may go well together. But, I think AAR would also be fun and we would use it in place of the Explode the Code and Wordly Wise that Sonlight suggests. Maybe AAR will just be expensive and redundant. But AAR, just really looks quite thorough and I also really like the books they use for reading practice.

Can I use Happy Phonics now with my 4 year old daughter and than when she gets to Sonlight Core A, start with AAR level 1. Basically skip the AAR Pre Reading. I wonder if she is too young to use Happy Phonics? I don't remember the games very well from when my son used it, but I thought he was age 4 when we started.

Maybe I will just get both AAR and Happy Phonics!! LOL seems like overkill for phonics but it may be nice to have some extra games to just play and have fun with!!

Well, I don't have AAR 1, although we did do pre-level and loved it. I just bought and organized/prepped Happy Phonics and I'm overjoyed about it! We've been using a mash-up of Phonics Pathways, ETC, and easy readers (I see Sam and Bob). That is working GREAT for my twins, and they're reading pretty well, especially for not-quite-5yos, but my oldest is struggling and needs more FUN. I started with the blending games in HP today and they were an enormous hit. I'm really hopeful that this will be the right approach for him.

I think you're right that you can't really go wrong, although I don't think you probably need them both, especially alongside SL core A. Doesn't it cover letter sounds, etc, too?