Menu

Verb Tense Help!

tdemauro

My son is working on week 11 in WWS--- Chronological Narrative of a Past Event Incorporating Description of a Place. In the guidelines, SWB suggests that the student mention in the description of St. Basil's Cathedral that it is being described it its present condition, or how it looks today.

So, the descriptive paragraph will contain present tense verbs, while the narrative will use past? The grading rubric states that verbs should be in consistent form. What are the rules?

Thanks,

Tanya

I haven't used WWS, but from what you've described, I'd describe the events of the past using past tense verbs. Then start a new paragraph with something like "Today, St. Basil's Cathedral is in ruins/remains an excellent example of..." and then add any other detail you think relevant. You may slip into the past tense again if you are describing events in the cathedral's past, such as fires, rebuilding, additions. I think you find it will come naturally once you start writing!