Menu

Copywork selections for 3rd grade boy

happypamama

I would like some pre-gathered copywork suggestions for my third grade son for next year. I don't mind writing them out by hand, but I don't want to take the time to gather them myself. I specifically want things that might appeal to a boy (nothing too flowery, but inspirational is okay); he strongly likes adventure stories, knights, historic fiction, stuff like that (not so big on sports). We will be using WWE3 with him, but he will need to do the 1970 CAT test next spring (end of third grade), and since he's only been reading for about a year, I'm not sure he's had enough exposure to print to absorb proper punctuation and spelling (although I realize that may change as his reading strength increases). I know WWE3 addresses that sort of thing, but I"m not sure it's quite enough. I don't want to do a specific spelling/grammar program with him yet, but he does need the copywork practice in cursive, so I figure I'll kill two birds with one stone.

So, any suggestions for inexpensive collections of copywork that would have those sorts of things? I do have the Lord of the Rings collection, and I think that will be right up his alley. Others similar in tone (maybe even a bit longer)?

Well, it is not already done, but I use excerpts from any of the Narnia books and type them in on Worksheet Works http://www.worksheetworks.com/english/writing/handwriting.html. You just type in the passage and it generates the worksheet. You could probably do a whole year of work in about an hour at the most.

If you want something already done you could check out CurrClick- they may have something.