Menu

Thoughts on tutoring cc essentials?

Amy in KS

How much prep did it take? Did you think it prepared you to teach your kids? We've done essentials for the last two years so it isn't new to us. I've tutored foundations. It's out of my field of expertise, but I'm drawn to the challenge a bit. I'm just wondering if I'll be biting off more work than I realize. What was your experience?

On average, it took me about 1.5 - 2 hours per week to prepare. You could easily put in extra time in the summer to get some of your lesson plans worked out. As you know, the class has a consistent pattern/routine, so once you get into a grove, things become easier. Pick out several math activities and rotate those throughout the year. Listen to the TWSS DVDs during the summer to prepare yourself for the writing portion. The EEL guide does a very nice job of what to cover in class. I recommend that you take a little time to thoroughly read a couple of weeks worth of lessons in the guide. That may help you get a better grasp of what you'd need to do and process for the weekly class prep. Thankfully, the TM for the IEW writing lessons are very helpful, too!

Tutoring IEW is really, truly doable -- especially if you've been participating in the class for a couple of years! And, yes, it will only equip you all the better for teaching your own children at home. Good luck!