Menu

Jim Weiss Audio Books Secular?

CrunchyGirl

I just stumbled on the audio files by Jim Weiss available from PHP. Are these generally secular or at least neutral? Our children are young so while I'm okay with stories (even Bible stories provided they aren't particularly violent), I'd rather avoid things that present religious texts as fact at this time. I'd love to get some audio books though with ancient stories. We have some long road trips coming up soon.

He doesn't write original works, he just reads other peoples work (well). He has recorded a ton of stuff. A lot of his work is secular (fables, tall tales, Sherlock Holmes for kids, etc.) but I think he also has some bible story cds. If you are listening along with your dc I think you will.be fine.

Whether or not SOTW in particular is secular has been debated often and is going to come down to what is right for your family. From the tone of your post, I imagine it would be fine. The first one is notionally geared toward first graders and the last toward fourth, so I might just plan on the first book if your dc are young.