Menu

what to look for at conference this year?

I'm starting to make my book list for the conference this year. I know I need to select a Consumer Math program, and a Geometry program. I might like to look at some economics and US History too.

What is everyone on the lookout for at the conferences/conventions......

I'm just going to hear Jim Weiss speak, and I don't even know what it'll be on yet! But I do like looking at curriclum, I'm just fairly certain on what I'm doing next year. We do have timberdoodle at ours, and they often have neat books that make great supplements, so I will look there.

I'm just going to hear Jim Weiss speak, and I don't even know what it'll be on yet! But I do like looking at curriclum, I'm just fairly certain on what I'm doing next year. We do have timberdoodle at ours, and they often have neat books that make great supplements, so I will look there.

Timberdoodle and Rainbow Resource are coming to ours. Miller Pad and Paper is always a favorite spot as well.

I am hoping to order most of my Rainbow Resource items before the convention. (Free shipping over $50). Then I can browse and pick up the items I missed. (You know I'll miss something!)

I need to browse for grammar programs at RR, but I'm not sure I will find what I am looking for. I'll probably just stick with Saxon, but we'll do it early.

------------------------

This is the year we take the very expensive plunge and buy IEW's TWSS. I am confident about this because we have been using their PAL writing program, and it is a good fit for us so far.

------------------------------------

The Keynote Speaker is Gregg Harris. He has a talk about getting kids to do hard things. I may purchase his book Do Hard Things.

--------------------------------

I need to stop at the Iowa Public Television booth. Thanks to the Wild Kratts and the rest of the IPTV lineup, my daughter knows and understands lots of "Way Cool Stuff."

"Where did you learn that?" I ask.

"Kratt Brothers," or "Ruff Ruffman," or "Martha Speaks," etc.

How else can I reply? "I need to let you watch more tv."

This is all IPTV's fault!

I just got back from Greenville, and it was fabulous. I attended the convention from such a place of rest this year. My session write-up is on my blog now. I hope to have my "what I bought" write-up posted in a few days.

Miller Pad and Paper is a must in my book. I always get tons of art supplies and paper there. I made a list of everything else I wanted to buy this year, highlighted those vendors and then didn't even bother to venture in to some parts of the vendor hall. I saved quite a bit that way. I also highlighted vendors I wanted to check out for the future (when the kids are older) and did that.

I spent quite a bit of time chatting with vendors. I have never done that before, but it certainly was nice to bend Andrew Pudewa's ear for a bit and ask him all of those questions I have that come out of his talks. I will be doing more of that in the future -- next year I plan to corner Kern.

Some things I bought:

Teaching the Classics by Center for Lit

CC Timeline Cards (we will not be in a CC community next year, but we will be using the timeline) and the second Pre-Scripts book

Math-U-See (my one "impulse" buy --- explaining that will be an entire blog post unto itself)

Prima Latina copybook (I got the curriculum used before leaving.)

MP's Christian Studies 1 (Teacher book and Golden Bible -- we will do this orally)

IEW's Fairy Tales and Fables (I got TWSS used beforehand.)

Some medieval coloring books.

Now I am so excited about next year it is hard to finish this one!