Menu

Wee Folk Art

lea_lpz

Anyone planning to use Wee Folk Art companion guides this year or have used them already? I plan to do Ponds and Puddles over summer, And do the the Fall, Winter and Spring guides during the school year (about 36 weeks). I saw that there is now an Advent companion guide with some simple crafts and baking to go along with a Christmas children's book each week. Could be fun :) during winter break!

Anyway, I would be using it with my pre-k 4 and 1st grader.

Please chime in with comments of how it worked for you and anything you added in or maybe what didn't work if you used it. If you plan to use it, what are you using / not using? Any add in's your thinking of? What else are you doing?

We are doing Rod & Staff A-G series, HWT Get Ready for School plus manipulatives, Early Bird Math Book A, and mfw preschool toys with activity cards (lots if educational toys to do kinetic type learning, prep for developing pre writing skills) with my then 4 year old.

My daughter will be doing mfw 1st & HWT 1st grade workbook plus manipulatives.

Both will do La Clase Divertida level 2 without the workbook and AWANA (Cubbies & Sparks)

We won't do the fairy poems or coloring book, or the recommendations for explode the code.

I think we'll spend about 3-5 days on Wee Folk Art depending on what we get a fill for.

I have thought of adding a seasonal music to the program and make cooking a weekly event by adding a seasonal recipe to units without one. My kids love to bake and sing :)

What a wonderfull idea. I should have thought to post a link. Also, just to let you know, Wee Folk Art is free, and you can download the companion guides for free in pdf. format. I was able to locate all the books for at my library, with only a few being through inter library loan, but this was really easy. I will only be buying the books we'll use for the entire 12 weeks or more.

For those of you unfamiliar with Wee Folk Art, it is Wardolf inspired and is similar to FIAR in that you row a book and do various activities for the week with a quality children's picture book. It can easily modified to fit your family, but generally, it involves a craft, baking project, and simple field trip or science typ activity, each week as well as having your child practice narration, memorize a poem each month, and create a weekly "scrap book" type page to recap what they did / learned that week. The program follows the seasons and is broken into 3 12 week long segements, Fall Harvest, Winter Wonderland, and Spring B's. Their is also a 10 week summer unit, Ponds and Puddles, and 4 week Advent unit (it could probably be condensed into 2 weeks if you wanted, it pretty simple, or add more to it.)

Here's the link:

http://weefolkart.co...ompanion-guides

Hope you enjoy exploring. The whole website is full of some fabulous ideas for crafters.

We are doing WFA this year for K and LOVE it. It is so fun, flexible, and simple.

I am not doing the rec's for phonics and math. Instead, we use The Reading Lesson for phonics and some Cuisinaire rod play for math.

I also add in Bible stories and memory to our day.

One change I've had to make is to rearrange the units a bit to catch the apples, leaves, etc. at the right times for our region.

I suggest keeping a camera handy when cooking and crafting. We've made lots of fun memories!

One change I've had to make is to rearrange the units a bit to catch the apples, leaves, etc. at the right times for our region.

I suggest keeping a camera handy when cooking and crafting. We've made lots of fun memories!

I think we might have to a bit as well but as most weeks are stand alone in fall that shouldn't be a problem. We have an Indian summer, so September and even into mid to late October don't feel much like fall.

Glad to hear you had a great year with it. I'd love to make a scrapbook of our year, and try the quilt.