Menu

Anyone know the name of the books written from Mr. Darcy's perspective?

I have seen "Mr. Darcy's Diary" by Amanda Grange at Target and keep meaning to buy it. I read her book, "Mr. Knightley's Diary". I don't think they are anywhere near as good as the original Austen books, or really as good as they could be, but I like seeing authors tackle the perspectives of the heroes.

Here is a link to a page of them at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mr+darcy

I also recently read Lost in Austin and it was wonderful

Austenland is also very good. These are both not from Darcy's view but good books)

I have been on an Austen kick so let me check others I have finished and post again after I go walking.

Get the series by Pamela Aiden. They are by far the best. Don't read Berdoll! She's horrible, horrible, horrible! You will spend years trying to rid your imagination of the really, really badly written but way too ridiculously graphic bedroom scenes.

Get the series by Pamela Aiden. They are by far the best. Don't read Berdoll! She's horrible, horrible, horrible! You will spend years trying to rid your imagination of the really, really badly written but way too ridiculously graphic bedroom scenes.

I agree, Aiden is WAY better, though the middle book of the series is a little odd. Berdoll includes some good adventure, but some parts are very, very detailed (not in a good way).

She has written a series of books that are not sequels, but variations, of Pride and Prejudice. By variations, I mean she begins at a certain place in the original novel and supposes how the plot would have or could have unfolded if the characters had behaved differently in the initial scene. For example, one of her novels begins with Elizabeth and Darcy at the inn in Lambton. Elizabeth has just read Jane's letter and discovered Lydia's elopement. Elizabeth "understands" now that she could have loved Darcy, but thinks her chances totally lost. But instead of remaining silent when Darcy takes his leave of her, Elizabeth feels compelled to speak to him in a way that will subtly let him know that she realizes the error of her initial opinion of him. So, Elizabeth thanks him for his and Georgiana's hospitality at Pemberley and tells him that, in spite of the unpleasantness of its ending, she will always have fond memories of her stay in Derbyshire. This leads to a reaction from Darcy, and the plot spins out from there.

I do have one reservation in recommending these novels. Although Ms. Reynolds is a better writer than most of the authors that have attempted the Austen sequels, she does succumb to the modern taste for descriptions of intimate relations between Elizabeth and Darcy and, in several of her novels, Elizabeth and Darcy anticipate their wedding vows in this respect. Many Austen-o-philes will reject the books out of hand because of this, saying that Elizabeth and Darcy would not have flouted convention in this manner. I tend to agree, but enjoyed the novels anyway. Ms. Reynolds does a good job "explaining" why the characters behave the way they do. She's really quite good. In the instances where humor is injected in the story, it is VERY cleverly done.

Just my opinion.