Menu

Alabama homeschoolers, ? about AL history

mlbuchina

How many weeks do you teach AL history, and what resources have you found?

We will be starting in April, and it just dawned on me that I better get a plan together. LOL

I have blank maps to learn the counties, so I'm good there, but if you have any tips for learning them I would love to hear them.

Thanks for your help!

We taught it last year using this set: http://www.statehist...history.net I wasn't crazy about it. I did feel that it covered everything but we used it with the Abeka state notebook and it bothered both of us how much it jumped around. It also felt very "dry" and while she did the work, it wasn't as much "fun" as I'd hoped it could be.

Someone here recently posted this link: http://www.studieswe...tate=AL&grade=4 I'll definitely be using this for my DS in the fall! It looks much more his speed and seems to cover all the relevant information.

My oldest did AL History in school before we were homeschooling and they used a state book I've not been able to find on any website. I'm guessing it had been around at the school for a while.

The state of AL does not require homeschoolers to teach any particular subjects, including AL history.

I will just be teaching US History in full, which includes the major Alabama topics.

I grew up in AL, and I never had to learn the counties in public school. I do think it's useful to teach the counties around you, for weather purposes. If a tornado is heading for Lauderdale County, it's nice to know if that's near me or not. :)

If you really want to teach AL history, I'm sure you could easily pick up a cheap textbook off Amazon.

The state of AL does not require homeschoolers to teach any particular subjects, including AL history.

I will just be teaching US History in full, which includes the major Alabama topics.

I grew up in AL, and I never had to learn the counties in public school. I do think it's useful to teach the counties around you, for weather purposes. If a tornado is heading for Lauderdale County, it's nice to know if that's near me or not. :)

If you really want to teach AL history, I'm sure you could easily pick up a cheap textbook off Amazon.

It's good to know that it isn't required. Still, I'd like to spend a few weeks on the subject. It may be that we only do a week or two, as I'd like to get further in SOTW4.

When I was in school we did have to memorize the counties. It was 6th or 7th grade. I remember doing it because I just couldn't remember them all. Lol I have no idea where Lauderdale county is! Looked on the map, nope, not near me. :D

We covered AL history over a semester's time in our co-op. Otherwise, I had no plans to cover it at all. One of the member's of our co-op had a copy of a textbook from the 80's that we used. We didn't cover everything, but we did cover the basic geography of the state (# of counties, where our county is located, physical landscape, major rivers, etc.) and how that affected transportation and city growth. We also covered battles that took place here, Native American tribes from the area, the civil rights movement and important people (George Washington Carver, Helen Keller, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Jr., the Tuskegee Airmen, etc.).

When I was in school we did have to memorize the counties. It was 6th or 7th grade. I remember doing it because I just couldn't remember them all. Lol I have no idea where Lauderdale county is! Looked on the map, nope, not near me. :D

:lol: My DH had to memorize the counties too. He went to school near Birmingham. I went to school in Huntsville. Maybe Huntsville just has sooooo many transplants that they didn't think memorizing counties mattered? I dunno. :tongue_smilie:

You might get some info here: http://alex.state.al.us/index.php

This. And there are a number of nice museums around the state we might visit. Oh, and we could stop and read those historical sign markers by the road. We also have fun looking at and discussing maps.

I work at a teaching supplies store just northeast of Birmingham. We have some small books about Alabama, but I can't think off-hand what they are. I just remember thinking, "Oh neat! I'll have to get that when we take some time to learn a little about the state!" If you are kinda close to my area, PM me and I'll look when I work Thursday.

This. And there are a number of nice museums around the state we might visit. Oh, and we could stop and read those historical sign markers by the road. We also have fun looking at and discussing maps.

:iagree: We've visited several places across the state.

Alabama State Capitol

Old Alabama Town - Montgomery

Dexter Avenue Baptist Church (MLK, Jr. church) - Montgomery

Civil Rights Memorial - Montgomery

Civil Rights Institute - Birmingham

U.S.S. Alabama Battleship - Mobile

Fort Morgan - Fort Morgan

Fort Gaines - Dauphin Island

Fort Toulouse - Wetumpka

Helen Keller home - Tuscumbia

Edmund Pettus Bridge - Selma

Dismals Canyon (Indian sites) - Phil Campbell