Menu

Classical Conversations without a co-op??

TXMary2

Does anyone follow the CC Foundations plan on their own? I have been loosely using a 2nd edition Foundations guide with my 3rd grader. I was looking at Essentials which starts with 4th grade, but it doesn't look like something that can be done without the co-op. Is Foundationst the best program CC has to offer? Could I just follow the three cycles in Foundations even though my son is 9 and in third grade already?

Foundations is the basic memory work program. It is for 4 year olds up through 6th(?) grade.

Essentials is different - it is for 4th to 6th graders (ish), and is taken in addition to Foundations. That consists of grammar, writing, & math games.

I don't know that you could say one is a better program than the other - they are different subjects.

You certainly *could* do the Foundations memory work part at home. I am not disciplined enough to get that done, hence the reason we go to a co-op to do it. Another wonderful source of memory work is Living Memory. GREAT book!

Foundations is the basic memory work program. It is for 4 year olds up through 6th(?) grade.

Essentials is different - it is for 4th to 6th graders (ish), and is taken in addition to Foundations. That consists of grammar, writing, & math games.

I don't know that you could say one is a better program than the other - they are different subjects.

Okay - this is good to know. Thanks! I thought Foundations was to 3rd grade, but if not then I can easily see us getting through everything.

We are doing Cycle 1 now, on our own, until fall when we will join a community at Cycle 2. So far, I've just used the App and it's very very easy. The app includes all of the songs except for the timeline song (we purchased that separately and I have it on cd in my car) and all the flashcards. So for $14, it technically replaces the manual, two sets of cards, and the audio cd. Well worth it. We just go through the weeks memory work twice per day, the kids know how to swipe to the next topic, so we usually do it in the car. I'm making a memory board, and we are drawing the science diagrams, and writing the math, Latin, grammar, and history memory work. I would like to purchase the maps, since I have had a hard time finding ones online we can print and use. Also, there is a website that offers a Lapbook to go along with CC, which I might purchase. Hth

We do it at home and i'm planning on doing my own version of Essentials at home next year as well, unless we win the lottery and can afford to join a community. I do plan to send out an invite to our HS group and see if anyone would like to join me in working through the memory work, playing math games and working through IEW's theme based lessons.