Menu

Do NOT use fans when trying to cut out patterns

Even if your home is a sauna.

I was working on lesson plans in the LA, but quit because the laptop was producing too much heat, if that tells you how hot it is.

Then I proceeded back to the bedroom, to work on ds's dino quilt & a couple of aprons. We've had BOTH fans going back there all day, but STILL the thick, humid heat would literally knock you down.

I sat in front of one & cried. Then I griped at dh that I should be able to LIVE in my own house. Then I ate some chocolate, chewy enough to give the effect of biting someone's head off while leaving all of the dc (& dh) in tact. Then I brought both fans over to the sewing corner of the room, set them to blast, & pulled out the pattern pieces for my aprons.

Now, I knew this wouldn't be completely cool, since I was sitting in the floor at a level lower than the fans, but I thought that might compensate for the wind, too. I was prepared to be patient.

I was not, however, prepared for the tissue paper pattern sheet to go flying across the room like an old newspaper on a blustery day. Or for the FOUR pieces I needed to be spread out across ALL FOUR of those tissue paper sheets.

I cut my pieces off & let the extra fly. It wasn't like I could FOLD them back up w/ those fans going anyway.

That's when I realized how completely impossible it would be to try to pin the 4 I'd obtained to the fabric before me. And that the 12 square inches of space to cut them in (since the fans were on my side of the room now) wouldn't be enough.

Having gotten my ginormous pg self into the floor in such tight corners was bad enough. Now I'm sitting there w/ a mess & a failed attempt at a start of a project, no room to pull myself back up, AND as I'm sitting there contemplating my predicament, I put a hand in front of the fans. Stale air. NOT cold. Not even...cool. Better than oven air, but that's about it.

So I'm back here in the LA w/ you guys. :crying: Thought you'd like to know.

On the upside, I've double-checked Lively Latin, & it's $55, not $155, like I thought. And ds did a practice lesson, & w/ some, er, propaganda on my part, he's now lobbying for it. Wonder if I can make *that* attitude last all yr?

need a lot of these right now: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Is your AC working, or are you using fans to help keep things extra cool?

At any rate, I just know that it must be very difficult to be pg in July/August, just days short of delivery, and have to cope with the heat.

I'm praying for a safe, cool, healthy delivery for you and the next little pumpkin!

Hang in there, girl! :)

need a lot of these right now: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Is your AC working, or are you using fans to help keep things extra cool?

At any rate, I just know that it must be very difficult to be pg in July/August, just days short of delivery, and have to cope with the heat.

I'm praying for a safe, cool, healthy delivery for you and the next little pumpkin!

Hang in there, girl! :)

Aw. I was really just hoping to bring humor to the boards through my, er, *comic* situation.

Is the A/C working? It depends on how you define "working." There's nothing *wrong* w/ it, that they can find, according to its original design. However, it is a really old, swamp cooler type thing that just. cant. keep. up. We set it to about 45 degrees, & in the AM, that's tolerable. But by the hot part of the day & into early evening, it's been being...well, a mo ago, it was over 80 in here. Now that outside temps are hovering around 100, I'd say it's close to 90 in here.

So the fans are functional, not icing on a cold cake. We often have to just leave the house during this part of the day. Dh tried to bribe me w/ ice cream, but I really want to sew. I've been waiting all day for him to come home & take charge of the dc so I could go work uninterrupted. Solitary. NOT HOT, though! :lol: I try to maintain a sense of humor, though.

Awww...Aubrey. . . . .

:grouphug:

OK, so I've had 4 summer pg's - with full-body armor (aka support hose) - AND I did quilt during most of them -

Girl, you have my sympathy. I'd surely love to bring you a nice pitcher of sweet tea. . . . .

I've heard of people dampening a sheet and hanging it in front of a blowing fan - the moisture helps to cool the air.

This is from an article on wiki-how on ways to stay cool while you sleep. Maybe you could adapt some of them for the hottest part of the day, too.

Plug in your fan and turn it towards you. Purchase a commercial bag of ice cubes. Empty the entire bag into a wide, shallow container (to contain the water as the ice melts) such as a roasting pan. Place the container of ice right in front of the fan (between the fan and you), at the level of the top of the bed. The ice-cooled air will be noticeably cooler than the room air for the amount of time it takes for the ice to melt -- which is as long as it should take for you to fall asleep!

Take a pair of cotton socks, rinse them in cold water, wring them until they are damp and put them on. Cooling your feet lowers the overall temperature of your skin and body.

Here's hoping the heat & humidity pass quickly! :001_smile:

I've heard of people dampening a sheet and hanging it in front of a blowing fan - the moisture helps to cool the air.

This is from an article on wiki-how on ways to stay cool while you sleep. Maybe you could adapt some of them for the hottest part of the day, too.

Plug in your fan and turn it towards you. Purchase a commercial bag of ice cubes. Empty the entire bag into a wide, shallow container (to contain the water as the ice melts) such as a roasting pan. Place the container of ice right in front of the fan (between the fan and you), at the level of the top of the bed. The ice-cooled air will be noticeably cooler than the room air for the amount of time it takes for the ice to melt -- which is as long as it should take for you to fall asleep!

Take a pair of cotton socks, rinse them in cold water, wring them until they are damp and put them on. Cooling your feet lowers the overall temperature of your skin and body.

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh! That sounds *wonderful*!

Here's more too. Sit in front of the fan with a little spray bottle of water. Mist your arms, legs, and face. When they dry, mist them again. The evaporative cooling really helps. Also, take a bag of frozen peas out of the freezer and place it on your head. Fill a bin with cool water, add ice cubes, add feet, ahh. Or, you could do all of the above simultaneously.

Hugs to you. What a shame about the silly air conditioning.

this is from my father, who knew someone from the St. Louis area who raised raised there in the days before air conditioning.

The mother of this fellow used to take the kids' sheets off of the beds in the morning, spritz them all over with a spray bottle until they were fairly damp/wet, and then put them in the freezer. Then she'd take them out right before they went to sleep and put them on the beds.

That at least helped everyone fall asleep at night! :) I don't know if this is an extreme example or not, but it might be worth a try, if nighttime sleeping is getting miserable.

I want you to know my baby is sleeping tonight because of you! I'd rep you *again* if I could! Thank you so much for these ideas!