Menu

Anyone substitute the Landmark book in SL Core D?

ByGrace3

I feel as though there was a thread about this once but I cannot seem to find it now...feel free to link it if you find it! :)

I am planning to do two years of US history starting next year, and I have most of Core D books. I will have a third and first grader and feel most of the read alouds will be fine for my dd and ds, dd will read the readers, ds will read some and I can read some to him. I plan to substitute out the Landmark book however to combine more easily. I think it would be ok for dd, but too much for ds. I could just exclude him from that book, but honestly, it looks dry. I plan to replace it with the Complete book of US History, the Maestro books, Daulaire biographies, etc.

Any suggestions? Anyone have success with this? If I don't do SL core D this way, I will just use TQ as a spine and go topic by topic using SL books. I just thought this way we would have the schedule of everything else. We will also add in the extras (maps, binder builder,a dn notebooking from TQ/AJTL)

Thanks!

Here is the thread about our failure with Landmark..... http://forums.welltr...sl-suggestions/

I believe you commented on it as well. Not sure if this is the one you have in mind.

The only thing from SL we are using are the readers and some read alouds........

Everything we are using is in the thread above.....we are having fun now since we have dropped Landmark. It just wasn't for my dd, nor ds.....way over their head. We also add in books from GuestHollow and History Pockets and NotebookingPages.com. They are also enjoying the Liberty's Kids videos that they watch over and over again!!

:hat:

Here is the thread about our failure with Landmark..... http://forums.welltr...sl-suggestions/

I believe you commented on it as well. Not sure if this is the one you have in mind.

The only thing from SL we are using are the readers and some read alouds........

Everything we are using is in the thread above.....we are having fun now since we have dropped Landmark. It just wasn't for my dd, nor ds.....way over their head. We also add in books from GuestHollow and History Pockets and NotebookingPages.com. They are also enjoying the Liberty's Kids videos that they watch over and over again!!

:hat:

Thanks! I think there have been a few of those threads! How has the complete book of US history worked for you? Did you continue with it? I am trying to decide if I want to simply "substitute" Landmark for those other books or just use the VP cards as our "order" and fill in with those books and the SL core D books.

My dd likes to read it...... and we stop in some parts to elaborate....stretching it out. We have been stretching out American Revolution! So, yes, it's doing the job and we're just filling in the gaps as we go along!

She doesn't like reading the DK Children's Encyclopedia of American History very much.....she likes to read the captions and look at the pictures more. I thought it was a good idea to use to get her ready for the Usborne Encyclopedia or Kingfisher to use with SOTW next school year. Usborne actually looks a little easier to read than DK or Kingfisher for a not so eager reader!....just FYI!