Menu

A/C service plans? Unreasonable price?

I want to set up routine maintenance for the house we just rented out in VA. The company that installed them was great! We loved them. But I just got off the phone and I'm shocked by the cost of a yearly maintenance plan.

We have two large units with those big honkin air filters that only need to be changed every 6 months. They charge $530/yr for two full services including the filter change and free diagnostics at any time.

It's expensive right? I know somebody has a dh that does A/C but I can't remember who it was. Or maybe somebody has a service plan that can give me some perspective.

I would appreciate it.

Jo

That's around $44/month.

We're paying around $20/month on a single unit, but I have no idea what "fair" is in your area.

For the fee we get semi-annual inspections, 24/7 service calls, a fixed charge for the service call, and 20% off of job price (parts & labor). The folks we've contracted with guarantee parts & labor for 2 years, whether you're on the service plan or not, and have a very good local reputation.

We also had very good experiences with them before the subject of the service plan came up, and their sales pitch was very low pressure.

Perhaps you could ask around: call other companies, check online, etc.

Just my $0.02, fwiw.

I want to set up routine maintenance for the house we just rented out in VA. The company that installed them was great! We loved them. But I just got off the phone and I'm shocked by the cost of a yearly maintenance plan.

We have two large units with those big honkin air filters that only need to be changed every 6 months. They charge $530/yr for two full services including the filter change and free diagnostics at any time.

It's expensive right? I know somebody has a dh that does A/C but I can't remember who it was. Or maybe somebody has a service plan that can give me some perspective.

I would appreciate it.

Jo

I don't have a service plan, but I've had to call for service on my AC 4 out of the 5 summers we've been here. There is a slow leak of some sort. Anyway, he was here Friday and the bill was $122. And with temps over 100 I was thrilled with that price.

I would appreciate it.

Jo

Hi,

Dh, a commercial HVAC man (who does sidework):D in the DC/MD/VA/WV area, is reading this over my shoulder. He says a service contract guarantees you service during hot spells when the residential HVAC companies become extremely busy(Dh says Slammed!)!!! Service contracts receive preference over other non-contracted customers. Double check this with your provider though.

You've heard horror stories about when somebody's unit goes out in 100 degree temps and service companies are backlogged for a week or two. Can you put a price on waiting or digging through the phone book and settling on a fly-by-night company?? Stick with a reputable company or a company you feel comfortable with, as you mentioned! Dh thinks the service contracts are a good idea for newly installed equipment.

HTH

Hi,

You've heard horror stories about when somebody's unit goes out in 100 degree temps and service companies are backlogged for a week or two.

HTH

I've lived that horror story a couple of the years we've been in this house. The first year we turned the AC on the first day of June. I had company and we couldn't get anyone out here for several days. It was so miserable.