Menu

4-H Junk Drawer Robotics Curriculum: Please share your experiences

dharmacat

My son participated in a 4-H robotics club last year. He found the curriculum to be rather easy, but he already had a good deal of knowledge about robotics. It is one of his primary interests. The material would be great for an introduction to robotics though.

He really enjoyed the actual robotics club aspect. The kids worked on building and programming with the Lego Mindstorms kit. He ultimately saved up enough to purchase his own Mindstorms set. We had to take some time off from the club, but I believe they are moving towards creating a team to compete in robotics competitions. If time allows, he hopes to be involved in the team.

I don't have any experience with this, but it sounds interesting! Is this curriculum considered a full science course? Or more like an elective? How much time would this require each week, do you think? Thanks to the OP for letting us know about it and to anyone with experience to share about it!

May I ask how old your son is? What age would you recommend for the 4-H curriculum?

He just turned eleven. It seemed that most kids participating were in the 10-12 year old range.

Also, you do not need the Mindstorm kit to use the Junk Drawer Robotics book. Sorry that I wasn't more clear on that. Some groups choose to combine both, but the Lego Mindstorms are not necessary. The book can be used with ordinary household materials. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a chance to look at this in real life, thanks to the husband of a friend of mine at our local co-op. It looks like it (levels 2 and 3) would be good for middle school aged kids which is what I would want it for. I spoke to the 4h leader of our area and he said a better description for it would be engineering 101 as it's more about the engineering behind robotics. But, it is very hands-on and has lots of physical science info to go with the different activities. I think I'll be getting it and using it for our co-op class next year. :)