Menu

Biology LabPaq's? Anyone?

I am hoping someone can provide me with some detailed info about LabPaq'sfor biology and what they include. Is there any dissecting? Is the lab manual easy to work with for the teacher as well as the student? It appears they have different levels of kits for AP or non-major biology. I am looking for the lowest level as I will be using it for a totally non-major bio 9th grader as well as his ELL siblings and 5th grade gifted (in science and math) sib. My 9th grader (next year) really doesn't want to do science alone, so since he is not going to come near using any advanced biology in later life (Physics is a totally different story) I am going to combine Walch Biology along with another lower level high school ELL science text but need a good lab experience.

Also, are Labpaq's expensive?

Please, no advice on "rigor", etc. I already know what many might say but for this next year this will be the best move for us, emotionally, for my son. While we are a good, solid education family, we are not as much into the sort of rigor in all areas that others are...but don't get me going on history and lit because there I am going to work his behind off!!! Haha!

Would really appreciate any info on LabPaqs that you might be able to provide. Thanks so much!

I can only tell you about the LabPaq I use which is Bk-1. I use it as the lab for Campbell's Concepts and Connections. We found the labs fairly easy to do - the most difficult was the one where we measured the photosynthesis and respiration rate of a plant. All the hard to find items are in the kit but you have to supply things like masking tape, distilled water, a light source etc. BK-1 has things like the scientific method, cell membrane transport, extraction of DNA, classifying species, swabbing for microbes, conditions for mold, identifying stages of mitosis, etc. I would call the LabPaq number and leave a message for them to call you back. They will give you a user name and a password so you can look at the Biology labs they sell. If you fill out their forms, they will also send you the teacher manual (which is just the answers). There was just one dissecting lab in this kit, comparing arthropods, where you dissected a crayfish, grasshopper, and a spider.

As for expense, I think most of the labs run from $200 to $300. After reading your message again though, I am not sure this is the type of lab you are looking for. While the labs themselves are not that challenging, the concepts behind them are, as are the lab reports outlined in the manual. Hoped this helped.

Thanks so much for your input! It might work, I need to check with them and see. I basically want better labs, less reading...more hands on work for my ELL kids. But you are right, it would have to be the right kinds of principles illustrated with the labs.

Thanks again!

• 3 months later...
Guest ehinton

I dont know what kind of labs or kits you are looking for. But we are trying to sell a Human Anatomy and Physiology one. They do run pretty expensive based on what you want included we paid $384 for ours and it included slides (blank and prepared) 2 dissection specimens the tool and a full size skeleton the good thing is they come with manuals on the cd with step by step instructions and extra info! Hope that helps!