Menu

Favorite non-western classics / historical fiction

Momling

Planning for history was easy when the focus was just on Greece and Rome, the European middle ages, and the renaissance and reformation... we dipped now and again into other cultures briefly to talk about things like the crusades or the silk road, but stuck generally to one single thread of European history. But now we're getting into the 17th century and it's getting complicated. How can I help my kids to understand things like the exploration of other continents, the conquistadors, slavery, the British empire, independence movements or world wars without going back and looking more carefully at the cultures that the Europeans were interacting with?

With this in mind, I've decided to focus on non-western history for a year or so. I think we'll work continent by continent... ending in North America (so that we're poised to do US history). As a bonus, it'll be a great year to get in the world religions and geography that I've been meaning to teach...

I've got Human Odyssey and OUP books and Story of US book 1, so the textbook side is covered, but I'd love to hear about classics from other cultures that can't be missed. Also, exceptionally good historical fiction, documentaries and movies are welcome! This will be for two middle school girls.

Thanks in advance!