Menu

if you are a hospital RN working prn...

jackson'smama

thank you. currently, i give them my availability (which is every thursday 7a-7p and pick one of any other day 7a-7p). i always get scheduled thursday b/c dh is always off on thurs. then i pick up one extra day wherever they deem the need to be greatest.

but now, we're going to self scheduling and i will be in the last round of scheduling, meaning after everyone else has selected their schedule, the prns will get to "fill in the blanks". i don't know if there is a "norm" for this and if so, what it is.

We use a acustaf and I sign in, look at the shifts available and sign up for what I want. Sometimes they will call and ask if I can work a certain day. My manager knows that I can only work on weekends.

are you in a rotation to sign up or do you sign up after all fulltime and parttime have done so? do you find that there is enough "left over" when you sign up? there's something about this that's making me feel like they are going down a road of "devaluing" prns or something. not sure why it's bothering me. it's actually how they used to schedule me but that's when i only wanted to work about 4 hours every other week, so it worked fine. now that i'm 20-24 hours a week, i'm worried it's going to drastically change when i work.

Well, our staffing changes based on unit census. Technically I am considered "extra" although we have so many new staff members on the floor that I am often charge nurse so I don't get downsized. Lately, we have had so many patients that I could work every day if I wanted. I've been working almost every weekend since July. There is only one other prn nurse on my floor and she works during the week. I think my hospital loves us prn folks because we fill in the gaps, don't use benefits and they don't have to pay us if we don't work (no vacation hours).

ETA...

Our manager makes out the schedule and "opens" up shifts in acustaf. He then sends out an email that the new schedule and open shifts have been posted. That's when I go in and sign up (subject to approval) for the shifts I want.