Menu

7th grade math to prepare students for pre-algebra

squirtymomma

In addition to homeschooling my own kids, I tutor middle/high school students in math in the evenings. I've recently had a request from 2 families who both have 7th graders in a private school for children with dyslexia. They both want their daughters to go to a mainstream private school for 8th, but they feel that their current school has not prepared them in math. They feel that they teach to the slowest students, and said their daughters don't struggle in math and are bored to tears. When they have observed other schools, the girls say there is a lot that they've never been exposed to.

So, they want me to spend the spring and summer working with them and preparing them for 8th grade math in a mainstream school, which would be pre-algebra. I've met with one of the girls already, and she has a lot of catching up to do. She hardly knows addition math facts, didn't seem to know what exponents meant, had trouble even doing long division. The other girl may not be that far behind.

I may have a textbook available to me that would be sufficient, but I wondered if anyone here would have a recommendation. TIA!