Menu

Which Singapore math do you prefer for 5-6,standards or US

There is a HiG for the Standards editions.

According to the FAQs on singaporemath.com, if you're switching between US and Standards, it's better to do at the end of a level rather than in the middle. So finish 4B US then start 5A standards.

I used US for 1A and B, then moved to Standards. It does have more review with a review section in the text and workbook after every chapter. It has additional topics than the US edition as well. The IP books are linked to US, so sometimes when in 5A Standards we were using 5B IP (and vice versa).

I'm pleased with Standards. We're actually stopping with Singapore after 5B though. 6 is mostly review (a bit of distance/rate/time word problems that's new). We'll likely be continuing with Elements of Mathematics and maybe some AoPS.

There are a lot of threads discussing where people have gone from Singapore. Some have used Singapore books for the high school level as well.

I'm very pleased with the foundation my son has from Singapore.

There is not a Home Instructor's Guide for the 6a & 6b Standards edition.

We are very glad we went all the way through Singapore. We went from 6a & 6b into AoPS pre-algebra and it was a great transition. My son wasn't ready for algebra in 6th or 7th grade. Well, maybe 7th, but it would be a bigger struggle than necessary. I am glad we took the extra year for him to adapt to a different program.

The TM for 6 SE is very similar to the U.S. edition HIG. The downside is the higher price tag.

The SE switched some of the content from NEM/DM 1 down to the 6th grade books. So if you are planning to continue on with NEM/DM, then you can skip level 6 if you want and go straight to the 7th grade book (this is what my DD did, though she did do the probability & statistics chapters in 6B since she has to take the CA state STAR test). If you are planning to switch to a different curriculum, then I would definitely do 6A/B since there are some topics most other programs will expect the student has covered.