Menu

s/o dyslexia and apraxia

On googling dyslexia and apraxia together, I found an excerpt of what looks like an interesting paper Dyslexia and the comorbidity of constructional apraxia: What history teaches us and what recent research is missing. They define constructional apraxia : "Difficulty in performing visuoconstructional and visual spatial tasks, such as drawing and copying, is known as constructional apraxia, which is considered a visuomotor/spatial organization disorder"

"Although there appears to be general consensus that multiple areas of the brain are activated during word identification, recent research suggests that the inability to decode print (i.e., poor phonological processing) is the primary contributing factor to developmental dyslexia (Shaywitz, Lyon, & Shaywitz, 2006; Vellutino & Fletcher, 2007). This localized theoretical approach in understanding the complexity of dyslexia also implies that dyslexia is primarily a language-based disability, but localizing dyslexia in the temporal lobes of the left hemisphere ignores the range of learning challenges that are often comorbid with dyslexia. An overview of dyslexia research reveals the complexity of this reading disability and the comorbidity of dysgraphia, dyscalculia, receptive/expressive language disability, and constructional apraxia (Benton, 1975; Boder, 1970, 1971; Goetzinger, Dirks, & Baer, 1960; Lovell, Gray, & Oliver, 1964; Lovell, Shapton, & Warren, 1964; Orton, 1937; Shankweiler, 1964). Such research highlights the visuoperceptive/visuoconstructional deficits common among children with dyslexia."

P.S> ever since watching the F.A.T. city video - whenever I'm reading papers like this, written in convoluted scientifese where I have to keep re-reading a sentence to "get" what they are saying, I think... is this how DD feels when she is trying to read :confused1: